The Ghana Council for Scientific and Industrial Research is a national scientific and technological institution mandated to carry out research into science and technology issues that pertain to national development. The CSIR was established in October 1968 and re-established in its present form by Council for Scientific and Industrial Research Act, 1996, Act 521. By Act 521, the CSIR is required to promote, encourage and regulate research and the application of science and technology for national development. The Act further requires the CSIR to encourage and promote the commercialization of research results.
The mission of the CSIR is to become the force for accelerated social and economic development of Ghana through examining, exploring and creating Science and Technology catalysts for public and private wealth creation. From its Head Office in Accra, the CSIR oversees and coordinates the activities of thirteen (13) research institutes spread throughout the country. The Act is available on the CSIR website www.csir.org.gh
The Deputy Director-General will:
• Be responsible to the Director-General of the CSIR for overseeing the development and execution of the Research and Development activities of the thirteen Institutes, as well as the Council's programmes and projects.
• Assist the Director-General in setting the research priorities of the Council in line with Government policy.
• Ensure quality assurance, and undertake monitoring and evaluation of the research outputs of the Institutes to ensure that research results are reliable, relevant and customer- driven.
• Mobilise Research and Development funds for the execution of the Council's internal and external projects, and establish/maintain effective linkages with relevant institutions and agencies within and outside the CSIR for the implementation of programmes.
• Oversee the transfer of the result of research in Science and Technology to relevant institutions and user-agencies.
• Act for the Director-General in his/her absence.
• Perform any other duties as the Director-General may prescribe from time to time.
The position is for five (5) years in the first instance, and may be renewed once, subject to satisfactory performance, if the candidate is not more than 60 years at the time of expiration of the first term
The salary attached to the position is attractive with fringe benefits.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Must have a PhD degree in the Agricultural/Biological/Physical/Engineering Sciences.
• Must be a distinguished and outstanding Research Scientist of national and international repute, with substantial research output and experience in R & D" which must be adjudged to be at least equivalent to that of a Principal Research Scientist or a Professorial grade.
• Must have strong leadership and management ability, with at least ten (10) years of management experience in top management position, and be capable of translating Council's strategic plan into strategic decisions and action programmes in the area of R & D.
• Must have proven ability to organise, direct and co-ordinate activities within a large research system and to motivate project leaders to combine research excellence with cost effectiveness and relevance.
• Must have the ability to interact with top management in other institutions and agencies.
• Must have good business sense and strong resource mobilisation skills, and be capable of attracting funding from internal and external sources to support R & D activities.
• Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills, to inspire research staff to give off their best.
How To Apply For The Job
Interested applicants are to submit a written application letter with the following attachments:
• Full Curriculum Vitae with list of publications and copies of certificates.
• Names and contact information of three (3) confidential referees.
• Brief Vision Statement not more than two (2) pages indicating the applicant's vision for the advertised position.
Applications should be forwarded to the following address not later than Thursday, 24th May. 2018.
SEARCH COMMITTEE FOR DEPUTY DIRECTOR-GENERAL
COUNCIL FOR SCIENTIFIC AND INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH
P. O. BOX M.32
Applications may also be brought personally to the CSIR Head Office, off Agostino Neto Road, Airport Residential Area, Accra. (Opposite the former Chinese Embassy).
30 April, 2018
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted