The ultimate outcome of this 6-year project is to enhance food security and resilience for poor male and female smallholder farmers (35% male/65% female) and their households in the three northern regions. This ultimate outcome is to be achieved through increased, diversified and more equitable agricultural production; and increased, diversified and more equitable incomes and assets. Job Summary
This position is open to Ghana nationals only.
ACDEP, a local NGO, is currently recruiting for the position of Aquaculture Specialist for a project in northern Ghana. The incumbent will work out of the project office in Tamale, Northern Region. POSITION SUMMARY
The Aquaculture Specialist is directly answerable to the project’s Deputy Director (based in Tamale). He/she will be responsible for developing and leading the implementation of the aquaculture sector and related activities within the RESULT Project.
He/she will be required to closely collaborate with key relevant stakeholder institutions and private sector players to provide capacity building and technical support for implementation of fisheries/aquaculture production, processing and marketing activities with project beneficiaries.
The incumbent will work in close collaboration with other project specialists and staff based at the Tamale and regional offices (including climate change adaptation/environment, monitoring and evaluation, gender equality, livestock, marketing and income generating activities specialists) to ensure a holistic approach is used within the project. Essential duties and responsibilities include: Scope of work
• Review existing project information and source additional primary information from relevant stakeholders in the operational regions and districts to facilitate and focus project interventions design.
• Develop and maintain good working partnership with relevant Ministries, agricultural research Institutions, NGO and private sector organizations in the northern regions to enhance project implementation and results.
• Undertake an assessment of aquaculture (production, processing, marketing) potential, opportunities and facilities in the project area; design and plan specific intervention activities and select beneficiaries based on gender considerations.
• With the technical advice of relevant RESULT Specialists and Regional Coordinators, facilitate and coordinate action research activities in collaboration with key institutions such as CSIR-WRI and Fisheries Commission.
• Assess and identify the capacities and needs of key stakeholders and targeted communities in aquaculture production, processing and marketing; design and facilitate appropriate training and provide/facilitate on-going technical support for activity implementation.
• Assess and facilitate project beneficiaries’ access to relevant gender-responsive technologies and inputs by for production, processing and marketing.
• Support the development of annual project work plans and budgets, including milestones.
• Based on annual project workplans, develop quarterly sector-specific work plans and budgets for approval; provide sector quarter, semi-annual and annual reports for the consolidated project plans and reports.
• Collaborate with the M&E specialist to design tools and undertake data collection on sector activities to enhance regular M&E and project management.
• Participate and contribute to regular project reviews and planning workshops, as well as staff training activities.
• Document relevant information, processes, field outcomes and lessons to contribute to the project’s knowledge management, learning and up-scaling. Qualification required and experience
• Master’s Degree in Fisheries, Aquaculture or related field.
• Minimum of 8 years work experience in fisheries/aquaculture and research & development, preferably with experience working with rural small-scale farmers.
• Experience in building capacity of staff and project beneficiaries (both men and women) in fisheries and aquaculture in both formal and informal settings.
• Demonstrated experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis. REQUISITE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Strong leadership and facilitation skills and interpersonal relationships with colleagues and project beneficiaries.
• Self-motivated and high initiative with ability to work under minimum supervision.
• Demonstrated capacity to work in teams with colleagues and collaborators from different organizations and government ministries.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of gender equality and participatory development.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; knowledge of other languages spoken in the northern regions is an asset.
• Basic computer skills (word-processing, presentations, spread-sheets).
• Willingness to travel in northern regions and work in deprived rural communities. Location:
Tamale How To Apply For The Job
Suitably qualified persons are invited to submit a covering letter detailing how their work experience and academic qualifications meet the requirements described above; their CV; and 3 professional references no later than January 27th, 2014 via e-mail to: [email protected]
Please indicate in the subject line of the email, the position title being applied for.
• The principles of employment equity are followed.
• Suitably qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
• While all applicants are thanked for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Closing Date:
27 February, 2014