Job Vacancy For Assistant Manager – Operations At Worldreader Ghana
Reporting to the Ghana Country Manager and San Francisco-based Operations Manager, the Operations Assistant Manager will be based in Accra and will support both the Ghana and global teams with all operational needs within West Africa, running essentially the engine behind Worldreader’s e-reading programs. This will entail overseeing the processing, shipment and backend data of all BLUE boxes deployed within West Africa, with an eye for bringing the process to scale.
The Operations Assistant Manager will lead in e-reader and tablet processing from procurement, preparation, deployment to program schools to data management, with a strong focus on increasing efficiencies and bringing the process to scale.
Specific tasks will include the following:
• Ensure timely delivery of weekly BLUE Box shipments, which entails managing the operational chain of inventory receiving, device registration, content provision, finalizing printed materials, assembly, and packaging. This task involves physical activities, effective communication with account managers (located in Accra but also Kenya and the U.S.), and management of volunteers who provide logistical support.
Shipping, Tax Exemptions and Logistics:
• Serve as the logistics support and expert on all shipping related items within West Africa. This includes working with our international airfreight partner and contributing to a knowledge base of shipping, customs and duties, and tax exemption processes in Ghana and across all other West African countries.
Infrastructure Development and Support
• Provide support in setting up Worldreader Ghana’s Operations center (including internet supply) with a focus on scale, efficiency and throughput. Support Worldreader partners and programs across West Africa in areas of device replacements, technical troubleshooting and repairs, device and account management, etc.
Procurement and Supplier Management:
• Support Worldreader existing supplier relationships for procurement purposes and explore and develop additional opportunities (including local) for sourcing BLUE box accessories and collaterals for West Africa.
• Manage backend data using a variety of existing tools as well as Excel.
Qualification Required & Experience
This is a great opportunity for a smart, high initiative and versatile individual, passionate about books and with a background in any production, supplier chain management related area or computer science/ technology background.
The ideal candidate possesses the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree and 1+ year relevant work experience or diploma/certificate holder in IT or a related field plus 3+ years of work experience in a similar field.
o Background in engineering, science or other technical fields a plus
o Experience in at least one of the following areas highly desired: production, shipping and logistics, supplier management
o Strong interest in working in the technology space; understanding of computer networks and experience as an IT professional a plus
• A high degree of attention to detail, combined with excellent analytical thinking skills
• Great verbal and written communications skills. Fluency in French a plus
• Willingness to perform activities that involve “rolling up the sleeves,” such as packaging and moving boxes
• Strong working knowledge of Excel with demonstrated ability to perform data analytics
• Proficiency with Microsoft office in general and productivity/ communication tools such as skype and email.
Additional characteristics include:
• High degree of professional maturity and self-motivation
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in cross-cultural settings, including working with remote teams
• Ability to work both individually and closely with teams
• Flexibility and a “get the job done” attitude.
• Demonstrable passion for education and the mission of Worldreader and evidence of Worldreader's core values: bias for action, collaboration, and 100% follow-through
How To Apply For The Job
To Apply – Please submit your resume/curriculum vitae and a cover letter explaining why you would like to become Worldreader Ghana’s Operation Assistant. Send your application in an email with the subject “Operations Assistant - Ghana” to:-
Closing Date: 15 January, 2016
If shortlisted, you will be invited for an interview.
Due to the volume of applications however, only those candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted. All applicants must have legal right to work in Ghana.