INDEPTH is a pioneer in health and population research, providing robust answers to some of the most important questions in development. Through its global network of currently 49 health and demographic surveillance system (HDSS) field sites in 20 countries in Africa, Asia and Oceania, it is capable of producing reliable longitudinal data not about the lives of people in low-and middle-income countries as well as about the impact on those lives of development policies and programmes, Job Summary
Communication Officer. Vacancy announcement number is IND-CO-2014. Duties and Responsibilities
• Raise awareness and enhance the positive image of the INDEPTH Network
• Collaborate with INDEPTH Scientists to translate, package and communicate policy relevant, cross-site research findings in support o! improved health and sociai policy and practice.
• Develop advocacy and communication strategies to position and promote INDEPTH and specific INDEPTH projects.
• Acquire bids from external contractors for writing, editing, publication design, web design, audio/video production, translation, printing and mailings.
• Develop talking points and other media/policy maker briefing materials.
• Write, update and disseminate fact sheets, press releases and other informational materials.
• Manage INDEPTH PR efforts, including press conferences, press releases and media relations.
• Manage INDEPTH's publications from idea to publication
• Proof-read or edit presentations proposals, reports, web text and other documents.
• Identify, generate and manage content ior inclusion on INDEPTH's website.
• Participate in communication and policy fora with INDEPTH members and partners.
• Other duties as assigned. Qualification Required & Experience
• Strong communication skills and ability to rapidly analyse and integrate diverse information from various sources, proven ability and in news gathering, writing and editing to very tight deadlines; and understanding of, and experience in, dealing with the media.
• At least 5 years of experience in journalism, communications or public relations, including experience at the international level.
• Highly developed communication (spoken, presentation) skills, including the ability to produce a variety of written communication productions in a clear and concise style.
• A minimum of a university degree in com-munication, journalism, public relations or related field is required. A science background and knowledge of population and health issues will be an asset.
• Proficient of computer skills, use of relevant software and other applications Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
All applicants (a signed cover letter and CV) should be submitted by email and indicate the vacancy announcement number to: [email protected] Closing Date:
30 September, 2014