Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers in 11 countries (Burkina Faso, Ghana, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mali, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda). Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation from a country perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Communications Specialist – Programs & Francophone Africa.
AGRA Communications Specialist – Programs & Francophone Africa
Reporting to the Head of Communications, the Communications Specialist – Programs & Francophone Africa will drive strategic communications efforts that advance AGRA program goals and position AGRA’s leadership as thought leaders in the sector. S/he will share stories of change and showcase African solutions that need to be scaled up by creating awareness about the role of smallholder agriculture in driving inclusive economic growth, highlighting challenges that need to be addressed and profiling investment opportunities across the agriculture value chain to actualize an agricultural transformation.
The role will be based in West Africa
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Collaborate with team members to provide impactful content by amplifying content generated by AGRA and its alliance partners on Africa’s agriculture transformation work and create stories and action opportunities that bring the work to life and leverage high name recognition, positive perception, and influence stakeholder goodwill for AGRA.
• Provide tactical proficiency focusing on key target audiences, developing and executing at scale strategies to deliver corporate, programs and brand communications objectives to position AGRA at the apex of Africa’s agricultural transformation, and provide compelling communication products and touch points that work across channels and markets; ensuring consistent messaging on key issues.
• Lead all communications initiatives targeted at Francophone Africa by providing capacities for development of creative and innovative communication ideas, vehicles and mechanisms to showcase results/outcomes from the implementation of projects
• Build understanding and support for all AGRA programs and their aims among key internal and external stakeholders
• Support program teams and regional and country leaders in building ownership of key stakeholders at the national, regional and international level by promoting an effective communication channel and platform for appropriate visibility and support
• Implement a communication and media strategy to advance AGRA’s program communication in Africa, including media field trips and impact tracking
• Lead and work with partners to develop and disseminate targeted messages to different stakeholders on the key projects implemented by AGRA in Africa
• Provide communication and media support to prioritized special events/workshops/meetings and conferences as required by program imperatives
• Coordinate closely with the communications team on relevant communications products, campaigns and all relevant outreach activities
• Raise awareness through media of the value and impact of major projects implemented by AGRA in Africa
• Write, edit and oversee the production of publications, including newsletters, reports, video scripts etc. in compliance with AGRA house styles and branding consistency
• Support effective engagement of stakeholders through consultation, information sharing, and other means of communication
• Support the program teams to develop means to effectively share knowledge with internal and external stakeholders
• Contribute to AGRA efforts of strengthening relationships with key continental and regional media institutions and partners for effective coordination and cooperation.
Qualification Required & Experience
Key Qualifications and Experience required
• Master’s degree in Communications, International Relations/Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Political Science or other relevant field, with a minimum of five years of relevant experience in outreach and communications work, especially with media relations
• Minimum of 7 years’ experience in strategic communications/public relations, preferably functioning as either a key spokesperson for an international organization, or a senior staff for a local, national and international media
• Professional membership to global communications, public relations or marketing will be an advantage
• Any additional professional qualifications in Communications, Journalism, Public Policy, International Development; International Relations that enhance proficiency in the functions key result areas.
• Thorough knowledge of and practical experience in communications strategy, execution and measurement
• Excellent oral, written communication and presentation skills.
• Spoken and written fluency required in English and French (both are mandatory for this position)
• Proven planning and organizational skills, strong conceptual and research/analytical skills, ability to think strategically and rapidly analyse and integrate diverse information from varied sources into conclusions and recommendations
• Ability to work within tight deadlines, ability to multi task and work effectively under pressure
• Solid understanding of development topics and ability to identify communications-related opportunities and risks in an international environment.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
How to Apply For the Job
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV in English and French (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to:
noting to quote the job reference number.) (Candidates who had applied previously need not apply again).
14 November, 2018
For more information on AGRA, please visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.