The World Vegetable Centre (WorldVeg) is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research centre with headquarters in Taiwan and regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programmes that contribute to improved incomes and diets in the developing world through increased production and consumption of nutritious and health-promoting vegetables. WorldVeg's Regional Office for West and Central (WCA) - Coastal and Humid Regions in Cotonou, Benin Republic conducts vegetable research and development and provides training and information services with the goal of improving nutrition and livelihoods among small-scale farmers and consumers in West and Central Africa. For more information on The World Vegetable Center, please visit our website: www.worldveg.org Job Description
WorldVeg is seeking for a motivated and qualified consultant to conduct dry season agronomic, cropping systems research and development activities in Northern Ghana from October 1, 2017. The consultant report technically to the Project Manager for Vegetable value chains and administratively to the Regional Director of WorldVeg WCA - Coastal and Humid Regions. The position is only open to nationals from Ghana or other national with work permit for Ghana. Duty station:
Navorongo, Upper East Region with field work travels to project sites in Northern Region. Responsibilities:
• Conduct research on characterization of vegetables varieties, fertilizer, water and land management
• Conduct research on vegetable cropping systems research and development activities, including field trials, and other technical aspects of breeding and crop protection programmes for vegetables (onion, tomato, hot pepper, African eggplant, okra, roselle, jute mallow, Amaranth, etc.)
• Plan and implement field experiments, including field layout, data collection, supervision of field assistants, farm labourers, students, other trainees.
• Collect, analyse and summarize a broad range of data form on on-station and on-farm trials.
• Train project beneficiaries on good agricultural practices
• Coordinate and assist in the conduct of WorldVeg project activities in Ghana
• Prepare draft quality technical reports and articles, and
• Perform any duty assigned by the Project Manager and the Regional director.
WorldVeg provides a competitive pay and benefits commensurate with experience and in accordance with the national personnel employment scheme. Qualification Required & Experience
• MSc or equivalent in vegetable production, agronomy, crop science or related agricultural science discipline from a recognized university.
• Proven experience in data collection and analysis with a research and development organization
• Ability to plan and work independently
• Good writing and verbal communication skills in English and other local languages in northern Ghana.
• Excellent computer skills and knowledge of statistical packages for economic analysis.
• Good team player and adaptable to working in multi-cultural team. Location:
Upper East Region How To Apply For The Job
Applications, including curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees, should be addressed to: The Country Representative, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) and submitted by email to: [email protected] Closing Date:
27 September, 2017
Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.