NGO / International Agencies
Job Vacancy For Crosscutting- Gender and Environment Specialist At MEDA
MEDA s an association of Christians who invest in people living in poverty around the world so they can unleash their potential to earn a livelihood to provide for their families and enrich their communities. MEDA has been working in Ghana since 2012. To learn more about MEDA and our work, please visit www.meda.org .
MEDA has received new funding from the Department of Foreign Affairs Trade and Development (DFATD) to implement a six (6) year project aimed at supporting Ghana’s tree crops sector. The project will enhance the productivity and profitability of female and male small farmers and small enterprises in tree crop industries in Northern, Central and Coastal regions of Ghana. The project is to respond to the recent decline in Ghana’s tree crop industry. Working with a Canadian private sector firm, Tree Global Canada, and its Ghanaian subsidiary, MEDA will establish industrial-scale commercial nurseries with distribution networks reaching farming communities across the country. The project aims to facilitate the distribution of 21 million tree seedlings over a six (6) year period.
The goal of the project is to improve economic wellbeing of 100,000 farmers in a strengthened export-linked tree crops industries. The project aims to support 50 small enterprises and their employees including 25 tree-sector farmers and industry associations. The project will be implemented from 2015- 2022.
MEDA HPTS project invites interested and qualified Ghanaians and residents of Ghana to apply for the following position. The position will be based in Accra and will involve field travels where required.
Crosscutting - Gender and Environment Specialist
The Gender / Environment Specialist will be responsible to for the design, implementation and monitoring of the cross-cutting areas of the project such as gender and environment. The role works under the supervision of Field project Manager with support from MEDA HQ Gender and Environment Specialists.
• Lead all gender, youth and environment activities under the project contract and will closely collaborate with all other partners involved.
• Advise program in developing strategies and plans to improve economic participation rate of youth and women and systemic changes within the labor force.
• Plan and implement gender sensitization programs.
• Help MEDA and its partners to build upon existing efforts at improving women participation in tree crops value chains including access to financial and technical services
• Analyze and report on program and project progress. Ensure that youth and gender program components are results-oriented.
• Organize capacity building trainings on youth, environment and gender topics for project staff, partners and clients.
• Collaborate with other staff to ensure youth and gender are integrated properly throughout the program areas, track inequalities and suggest appropriate remedial strategies.
• Support in effective application of Results Based Management tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of gender related results.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A university degree in sociology, development, gender studies, economics or a related field required.
• Demonstrated understanding of gender issues and analytical tools and approaches.
• Knowledge of gender related issues in Ghana as they relate to value chain development.
• At least five (05) years of professional experience, three (03) of which must be gender related in an international development setting
• Experience conducting trainings, youth and gender analysis and gender integration programming, including with on-the-ground participatory approaches
• Understanding of MEDA’s youth, gender, and value chain techniques and approaches.
• Experience with DFATD funded projects a plus.
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages
• Comfort in public presentation and the ability to clearly articulate ideas and design/deliver participatory training.
• Private sector experience a plus
• Ability to work collaboratively to achieve results
• Strong English language written and oral communication skills are required. Proficiency in 2 other local languages is essential
How To Apply For The Job
All interested applicant are invited to forward application letters and resumes to:-
email@example.com indicating position being applied for in the subject heading of the email response.
Closing Date: 07 December, 2015
• All applications received after the above date and time will not be considered.
• Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.