• The Director of Works and Physical Development shall be responsible for the development and maintenance of physical and infrastructural works and/or facilities of the University.
• The Director of Works and Physical Development shall have oversight responsibility for municipal services of the University and all departments under the Directorate.
• The Director of Works and Physical Development shall be responsible for providing effective leadership and management of health, safety and environmental matters for the University as a whole.
• The Director of Works and Physical Development shall be in charge of developing maintenance strategies for ensuring that the University properties are in good condition.
• The Director of Works and Physical Development shall consider and advise the Entity Tender Committee and Development Sub-Committees of the Governing Council on technical matters affecting tenders on buildings and other development projects to enable the Committees to make informed decisions.
• The Director of Works and Physical Development shall be responsible for all preliminary matters on contracts involving the physical or infrastructural development of the University and the use of any part of the University’s lands.
• The Director of Works and Physical Development shall be responsible to the Vice-Chancellor through the Pro Vice-Chancellor for efficient discharge of his duties.
• The Director of Works and Physical Development shall perform any other duties and functions as may be assigned by the Vice-Chancellor and the Pro Vice-Chancellor. Terms of Appointment
• The Director of Works and Physical Development shall hold office for an initial term of four (4) years. The appointment may be renewed, upon application for a further term of up to four (4) years only if that is not beyond the statutory retirement age of sixty (60) years.
• The terms and conditions of the appointment shall be determined by the Governing Council of the University consistent with the Technical Universities Act 2016 (Act 922) and Statutes of Accra Technical University.
• The salary and Conditions of Service attached to this position are very attractive and are comparable to those in analogous universities in Ghana. Qualification Required & Experience The Person:
• Must be able to contribute effectively to the University’s strategic planning processes, with special reference to the physical environment and the physical resources strategy, in the context of supporting the University’s teaching, research, residential and other business activities.
• Must be able to liaise and communicate with a wide range of individuals and organizations outside the University including contractors and built environment professionals with the aim of fostering closer collaboration with the University.
• Must have the desire and drive to acquire knowledge and skills necessary to perform the job efficiently and effectively.
• Must be able to keep under review developments at national and international levels relating to works and physical development, to assess their implications for the University, and disseminate information and ideas within the University as appropriate.
• Must be able to build close working relationships with the Senior Management Team, senior administrative and academic colleagues and to nurture a strong sense of teamwork among staff in the Directorate.
• Must be capable of liaising closely with appropriate staff in the University in the planning and consultation processes relating to strategic and major operational developments within the Directorate and to communicate such plans and activities in a range of University forums.
• Must be able to demonstrate ability to provide direction and to inspire and support the staff in the works and physical Development Directorate to achieve the mission, vision, and objectives of the University as a whole.
• Must be able to provide leadership to all staff in the Directorate, ensuring that the necessary skill and competency levels are in place, developed or acquired and that a strong service ethos is inculcated and maintained.
• Must possess high level strategic planning and organizational skills, including forward planning and forecasting together with the ability to respond appropriately to user demands and expectations.
• Must be capable of contributing to the dissemination and sharing of best practice on works and physical development within the tertiary education sector
• Must be able to provide clear, practical and accurate advice to staff at all levels in the Directorate of Works and Physical Development on engineering best practices.
• Must possess a Master’s Degree in Built Environment and relevant Professional qualification.
• Must also possess a professionally recognized certificate and a current professional practicing license.
• Must have at least twelve (12) years post academic qualification working experience not below the rank of a Deputy Director of works and Physical Development or Deputy Development Officer or analogous position in a tertiary education or public service. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
• Candidates are to submit an application letter and completed Application forms obtained from the Registry of the University or download and print a copy from the University's website at www.atu.edu.gh
• Applicants are to attach Curriculum Vitae, including names and addresses of three (3) referees who can attest to the qualities of the applicant.
• Applicants are to include a short statement of not more than four pages (Times New Roman size 12 and 1.5 line spacing) outlining their vision and strategies for implementation.
• Applications must be hand delivered in a sealed envelope to the Registry of the University and signed for or submitted using a registered electronic mail to reach
• The address below not later than 30th August, 2018. The Chairman Search Committee for Director of Works and Physical Development c/o Office of the Registrar Accra Technical University P. O. Box 561 Accra
Email: [email protected]
Emall: [email protected] Closing Date:
30 August, 2018
Only short-listed candidates shall be contacted