The U.S. Embassy in Accra, Ghana is seeking an individual for the position of Driver / Chauffeur
in the Marine Security Guard’s Office of the Embassy. BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Incumbent drives Americans and other visitors to various parts of the city and environs, as directed by the dispatcher. This requires knowledge of the roads in and out of Accra, as well as the rules and regulations of the traffic authorities. S/he must have the ability to perform basic maintenance on vehicles, including changing of tyres, checking and adding water and oil, and other maintenance requirements.
Incumbent also delivers letters, parcels and other goods promptly as required. S/he keeps record of mileage and reports any problems with the car, or any other problems encountered while driving; keeps vigilant watch for all road hazards by driving defensively. Keeps vehicle clean and reports any deficiency to dispatcher. Qualification Required & Experience NOTE:
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
1. Completion of primary School is required.
2. Three to five years work experience driving for an international organization and/or large trucking firm is required.
3. Level III (good working knowledge) in English is required. Job holder will be able to read and understand, for example, regulations, instructions and related material concerning the field of work, and to prepare correspondence and standardized reports. Job holder will be able to communicate effectively with staff and members of the public in the language. Language proficiency will be tested.
4. Must be familiar with local traffic laws and area traffic patterns, and that of neighboring countries and must have the ability to read map of the country.
5. Must possess and provide a copy of a valid local driver’s license minimum of Class B. Driving skills will be tested.
6. Must be skillful in executing various tactics for security of passengers in all driving situations. SELECTION PROCESS
When equally qualified, US Citizen Eligible Family Members (AEFMs) and U.S. Veterans will be given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate address the required qualifications above in the application. ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold FMA appointment are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
5. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed
(WAE) work schedule. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment (UAE) as a locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174): or
2. A combination of both: i.e. Section 1-24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicant’s work experience attached as a separate sheet; or
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the UAE (see section 3A below for more information): plus
4. Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veteran preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
5. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
6. A telephone number, post office box and/or e-mail address where we can contact you to schedule an interview.
3A. If an applicant is submitting a resume or curriculum vitae, s/he must provide the following information equal to what is found on the UAE. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
A. Position Title
B. Position Grade
C. Vacancy Announcement Number (if known)
D. Dates Available for Work
E. First, Middle, & Last Names as well as any other names used
F. Date and Place of Birth
G. Current Address, Day, Evening, and Cell phone numbers
H. U.S. Citizenship Status (Yes or No) & status of permanent U.S. Resident (Yes or No; if yes, provide number)
I. U.S. Social Security Number and/or Identification Number
J. Eligibility to work in the country (Yes or No)
K. Special Accommodations the Mission needs to provide
L. If applying for position that includes driving a U.S. Government vehicle, Driver’s License Class / Type M. Days available to work
N. List any relatives or members of your household that work for the U.S. Government (include their Name, Relationship, & Agency, Position, Location)
O. U.S. Eligible Family Member and Veterans Hiring Preference
Q. License, Skills, Training, Membership, & Recognition
R. Language Skills
S. Work Experience T. References NOTE:
1. All applications must have the Position Number and Position Title identified.
2. All “Hard Copy”/printed applications must be submitted to the Mail Room at the
Chancery. Hard Copy Applications submitted through any other office will not be accepted. You may apply on-line using the email address.:- [email protected]
This is the preferred means of applying for a position with theAmerican Embassy.
3. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE FOR AN OPEN/ADVERTIZED POSITION. APPLICATIONS PREVIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR A JOB WILL NOT BE HELD/CONSIDERED FOR FUTURE JOBS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, YOU MUST RE-APPLY.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO: Human Resources Office Through the Mailroom, Chancery American Embassy, Accra P.O. Box GP194, Accra POINT OF CONTACT:
E-mail: [email protected] Closing Date:
12 December, 2013 NOTE: ALL U.S. AND NON-GHANAIAN CITIZENS, WHO ARE NOT FAMILY MEMBERS OF USG EMPLOYEES OFFCIALLY ASSIGNED TO POST AND UNDER CHIEF OF MISSION AUTHORITY, MUST ATTACH COPIES OF THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION. NO RELOCATION EXPENSES ARE PROVIDED TO THE JOB LOCATION: ACCRA, GHANA. IF TRANSPORTATION TO ACCRA IS REQUIRED, IT WILL BE THE EMPLOYEE’S RESPONSIBILITY