Farm Radio International (FRI) is a Canadian non-profit organization with a mission to support broadcasters in developing countries to strengthen small scale farming and rural communities. For detail information’s please visit our web site; www.farmradio.org
• Position title:
FINANCE & ADMIN. OFFICER
• Position Location:
• Reports to:
• Contract term:
Full-time 2 year contract with possibility for renew
• Application deadline:
JANUARY 19, 2014
• Start date:
FRI invites application from suitably qualified individuals who wish to be considered for the role of Finance & Administration Officer (FAO). This position will be based in Accra, Ghana with regular communication/coordination with colleagues in Tanzania and Canada. Key Responsibilities
The Finance & Administration Officer (FAO) will have overall responsibility over the financial & Personnel administration and also financial management of Identified projects and is expected to provide high professional expertise in the conduct of financial & Admin affairs relating to the projects.
He/she will be required to perform a wide spectrum of tasks including hands on financial accounting of all transactions, financial analysis to offer business advice, management of donor funds in a prudent manner and financial monitoring as required by the financial policy to all staff’s, FRI Canada and key donors , as well as supporting local and international audits. Specific responsibilities include: Financial Accounting
Prepare and Submit monthly, quarterly and year-end financial statement of the project activities to FRI Ottawa within agreed time-lines. This include period-end closings, bank reconciliation, monthly sub-ledger balancing, review and verifications of all payments, inter-funds, inter-company reconciliations, preparing month-end journal entries, posting general ledger and maintaining the chart of accounts. Financial Audit, Systems and internal Controls: Audits
• To set and manage the accounting systems for Farm Radio activities in the new Ghana office
• Organize the accounting system in preparation for an audit of FRI Ghana activities.
• This will involve preparation of detailed working papers, financial statements and documents relating to policies and procedures.
• Participate in internal audits of projects implemented by FRI Ghana Systems
Implement the accounting systems and ensure that it meets the key requirements relating for reporting to key stakeholders including segregation of donor funds and reporting to the Donor. Internal Control
• Assist FRI Ottawa office to develop accounting manual for FRI Ghana activities. Implement all accounting and financial procedures, financial control mechanisms for all Project activities, and update the accounting manual as required throughout the project.
• Ensure sub-grantees’ financial accounting/reporting comply with donor requirements. Ensure implementation of necessary financial controls and due diligence (review of periodical reports, frequent monitoring visit and internal audits etc). Financial Management
• Ensure that all financial tasks required to FRI (planning, reporting, monitoring, auditing etc) in accordance with the Donor contract are carried out in an efficient and timely manner.
• Monitor performance to budget for the project and ensure that all Project staffs are informed of significant issues and development with regard to the financial management and monitor of the program.
• Provide regular variance analysis of project implantation and other offer recommendation for possible improved courses of action to ensure efficient use of project funds.
• Negotiate and liaise with bank officials, auditors, government officials, the Canadian based Financial Analyst, the Finance Manager and other as required related to financial matters.
• Monitor and forecast cash requirement to meet administrative and program expenditure and make timely advances requests to FRI headquarters.
• Facilitate smooth implementation of contracts of procurement of goods and services as required by Project activities, plan and budget.
• Participate in strategic planning and design and support program team to build and develop accurate annual budget and financial expenditure plans each year and monitor progress. Financial Reporting to FRI Ottawa
• Undertake regular financial analysis and prepare financial reports that are accurate, timely, and comprehensive and meet all requirements specified by the donor.
• Assist Director of Operations in preparation of project reporting to Donors and FRI Ottawa as required including annual work plans and budgets.
• Work with Ottawa-based Senior Financial Analyst to ensure i) that all financial matters and regular reports are timely and accurate and ii) assist SFA with all relevant financial administration (budget, reporting, audit etc) to meet requirements to Donors and FRI Ottawa.
• Respond to request for information from Project staff, project partners and FRI Senior management.
• Respond orally and in writing to inquiries concerning the project.
• Other duties as required Qualification Required and Experience
• At least CA Part II or equivalent is preferred
• Or a BSC Accounting option or equivalent
• A minimum of five (5) years of experience in financial management, of program with annual budget of at least $ 500,000 USD a year.
• Proficiency in computer skills, spreadsheet, accounting packages especially (QuickBooks, Quicken, is a must have ) communication packages and MS Word, Excel, Power Point is requires;
• Strong analytical, communication and problem solving skills is necessary along with capacity to identify and articulate potential problems and provide possible solutions in concise and clear manner.
• Experience in working with international development partners, international nongovernmental organization (INGOs) and donors (in particular CIDA experience) is an asset.
• Experience with Payment by Result mechanism is a strong asset
• Knowledge of international development and with issues that impact refugees and host communities is considered an asset.
• Experience working with ethnically diverse communities and with projects implementing gender mainstreaming strategies.
• Demonstrate high level written and verbal communication skills in English Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Applications and supporting documents sent by e-mail should be directed to: [email protected] Closing Date:
19 January, 2014
• FRI is an equal opportunity employer.
• Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
• No telephone calls please