SOS-Hermann Gmeiner International College (SOS-HGIC) seeks an Accountant
SOS-HGIC is a highly academic and very reputable International Senior Secondary Boarding School for the “best and brightest” students from SOS Children’s Villages across Africa together with students from the host nation, Ghana. Its motto is Knowledge in the Service of Africa and its ethos is rooted in providing an excellent pre-university education while nurturing students to use their leadership skills and diverse talents for the benefit of their local communities and for Africa. SOS-HGIC is thus a unique school, comprising the 4-years of pre-university education, and offering two years of the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IB MYP) followed by 2 years of the full IB Diploma Programme (IB DP) - which the school was the first to pioneer in Ghana in 1993.
The College was founded in 1990 by the President of SOS
Kinderdorf International, which has over 500 SOS Children’s Villages worldwide, and primary, secondary and vocational schools all over the world. The College is its flagship pre-university institution and its students have graduated from such first-class institutions in the USA as Harvard, Princeton, Yale, MIT, Vassar and many others. Additionally, in Europe and the United Kingdom, students have graduated from the Universities of Bremen, Jacobs, Oxford, Edinburgh, UCL and Richmond etc, and within Africa, from the University of Cape Town, Wits University, Ashesi, University of Ghana, Legon, the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, among others. We are looking for an experienced and skilled HR Officer who will help with recruitment, talent development, managing procedures and policy development. The College is headed by a Principal and two Vice Principals; the Human Resource Officer will report directly to the Principal. The Job description below outlines the broad spectrum of the role. Job Description for Accountant
• The Accountant’s role is to support the Financial Controller in establishing the budget planning, budget monitoring, financial reporting and review of internal controls.
• Other responsibilities include oversight of junior staff within the department that need specialist guidance in accounting standards, and industry best practice.
• You will be expected to have advanced knowledge of accounting standards (IFRS), tax and budgeting.
• The goal will be to provide excellent assistance and support to the Financial Controller & Senior Leadership Team. The Accountant’s roles and responsibilities within the school include but are not limited to:
• Prepare the school’s annual budget, review and update as necessary.
• Monitor income and expenditure in relation to the school’s budget, and produce monthly reports
• Keep all school accounts and prepare income and expenditure reports in accordance with IFRS, financial regulations and shall prepare accounts for submission to the school’s auditors.
• Assist in the preparation for the annual audit, liaising with all parties involved.
• Maintain and oversee all bank accounts including the school’s debit card/s, completing monthly reconciliations and reporting banking errors to Management.
• Ensure that the school’s finance policy is reviewed and updated as necessary and that the school meets all financial requirements.
• Responsible for all elements of cash handling including collections and disbursements, banking and security, fundraising and school trips.
• Responsible for the completion of the school’s payroll, ensuring all forms including timesheets, new starter/leaver/variation forms and annual returns are submitted within required deadlines
• Responsible for the placement of orders ensuring they are processed through the school’s computerized finance accounting package.
• In conjunction with the nominated staff members, scrutinize and attend to the payment of all invoices and statements of account.
• Carry out and keep analyses of costs and other statistical information.
• Ensure that all the necessary financial data required for payroll, the staff Pension and Provident is submitted.
• Ensure that all administrative duties, checks, documentation, reports and returns (internal and external) are completed accurately and submitted within required deadlines.
• Advising on compliance with legislation and guidance. Qualification Required & Experience
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting, or finance
• Professional accounting qualification preferred e.g. CA, ACCA or CIMA
• Minimum 5-10 years’ experience in accounting/finance
• Preferable experience working with an International school. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Your documents should include:
• A Cover Note
• A Motivational Letter (a one-page document describing why you are the perfect candidate for the position).
• All copies of Certificates stated on your Resume
• Names, positions, contact information of three referees (References will not be requested till finalists are determined)
All application documents should be emailed to: [email protected] Closing Date:
26 February, 2021