Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) - is a public-benefit federal enterprise working in more than 100 countries worldwide. We work on behalf of the German Government and support public and private sector clients in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and environment, and peace and security. Our activities cover three priority areas: Energy and Climate, which deals with renewable energy and energy efficiency; Training and Sustainable Growth for decent Jobs; and Peaceful and Inclusive Societies, which focuses on good governance.
The REACH project seeks to build Climate Resilience across 14 districts in northern Ghana. Through extensive capacity building measures on Conservation Agriculture, Community Engagement and improved planning and policies on District level, the challenges of climate change for rural areas are tackled. The Project is co-funded by the European Union and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development. It is part of the EU Ghana Agricultural Programme which is implemented together with the Ministry of Food and Agriculture of Ghana (MoFA).
Scope of Role:
As an Advisor for Rural Development you are responsible to identify, develop and implement processes that anchor knowledge on climate resilient agricultural production methodologies within the agricultural sector. For this you work together with the Agricultural Extension Service of MoFA, NGOs as well as the Private Sector. Within the project you cooperate with units to develop measures on behavioural change as well as innovative approaches to engage communities within their livelihoods.
• Provide technical advice to improve agricultural extension outreach in northern Ghana, to develop community action plans as well as for knowledge management on agricultural practices, especially on Conservation Agriculture
• Conceptualisation of Multi-Stakeholder Partnerships for the joint implementation of rural development approaches
• Establishing conceptual links and integrated solutions with other units of the project, esp. GIS, ICT and Communication.
• Advising partners in the field of Conservation Agriculture, Community Engagement and other Rural Development topics.
• Take over responsibility for implementation of processes guided by the production unit as well as other specific tasks.
• Prepare terms of reference, budgets, surveys, specifications and other documents to contract service providers or procure goods.
• Monitor and supervise activities and responsibilities of external service providers.
• Ensure compliance with the rules and regulations on the procurement of agrochemicals and other agro inputs
Qualification Required & Experience
• Master's degree in Rural Development, Agronomy, Agroecology, Agricultural Extension, Community Development or any other relevant field for the position.
• 5 years’ professional experience in the field of Rural Development with a focus on Extension Services, Climate Change, Conservation Agriculture and/or Community Engagement as well as experience in working with public sector institutions
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple stakeholders and create and maintain effective relationships with private companies and government personnel
• Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially MS Team, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
• Excellent knowledge of English; Knowledge of local languages of Upper West is a strong asset.
• Good knowledge of the cultural dimensions and undertones in the Upper West Region
• Ability to work under pressure, strong team orientation, cooperation and negotiation skills
How To Apply For The Job
Interested and suitable applicants are to forward their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a one-page cover letter to:
quoting the Job Code 2022/REACH-AD/14/11
in the subject line. If you do not hear from us two (2) weeks after the deadline, please consider your application unsuccessful.
25 November, 2022
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion
are encouraged to apply