Africa Trade Insurance Agency is seeking to recruit a Assistant Underwriter.
Reporting to the Chief Underwriting Officer through the Senior Underwriter, the Assistant
Underwriter will assist with marketing, business generation, client relationships on an ongoing
basis and other activities to support the team as may be assigned by the Chief Underwriting
Responsibilities Functions and duties
The Assistant Underwriter, through the guidance of the Senior Underwriter, will:
• Assist in generation of business through marketing activities and increasing the visibility of ATI. This involves meeting one-on-one with clients and prospects and attending different marketing events organized by ATI or ATI’s business partners.
• Participate in awareness events in countries of responsibility
• Maintain relationships with brokers and strategic accounts as assigned by the Senior Underwriter/Chief Underwriting Officer
Assist Underwriters in Underwriting business. This includes
• Screening business enquiries based on eligibility criteria;
• Assess the risks of the proposed transactions and produce a report of the risk to convince approvers to accept the risk;
• Issue non-binding/indicative term sheets
Under the guidance of an underwriter, he/she will manage and monitor the underwritten risk - support and guide the Post Contract Management staff in:
• Ensuring timely payment of premiums;
• Following up on any outstanding documentation/information from policyholders
• Continuously monitoring the assigned portfolio, pre-empting any potential risk events thereon; and promptly bringing such to management’s attention
Qualification Required & Experience
• At a least a university degree
• A Professional qualification: Insurance CII /CPA/ Professional Banking Certification (an added advantage)
• Knowledge of insurance and re-insurance
• Proficiency in MS Office suite of packages
• Report writing
• Negotiation skills
• Time management
• Good oral communication skills and interpersonal skills
• Presentation skills
• Analytical skills
• Strategic thinking
• Judgement and decision making skills
• Ability to work beyond normal working hours when the job so demands
• At least 3 years’ experience in banking, insurance or finance related environment/background.
• Your key internal relationships are with the credit, finance, marketing and procurement departments while externally you will have contacts with brokers, banks, insurance companies, reinsurance companies, corporate clients and governments.
How To Apply For The Job
Please submit an Application Letter, Personal History Form (Downloaded from the ATI website) CV, plus details of your current remuneration package along with details of three referees to:
Click Here To Download Personal History Form
ATI will only contact those applicants who are being actively considered for an interview.
07 February, 2020