MDF West Africa Limited (MDF West Africa) is a training and management consultancy firm that is registered in Ghana and commenced business on May 2009. MDF West Africa serves global and local clients in any of the West African countries and beyond. With a core staff of 28 professionals, supported by a network of 25 associated trainers/consultants, MDF WA is a multi-project organization implementing approximately 15 projects simultaneously.
MDF West Africa is a fully owned local subsidiary of MDF Training & Consultancy BV that has been building the capacity of individuals, organisations, and networks since 1984 with the mission of ‘empowering people, creating impact’. The Global MDF has offices in the Netherlands, Belgium, Kenya, Ghana, D.R. Congo, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Myanmar and project offices in Rwanda, Uganda and Benin. MDF offers open-subscription training courses, tailor-made training and workshops and consultancy services in multiple sectors. MDF also provides support to organisations in the design and implementation of project monitoring and evaluation and learning (MEL) processes.
Being part of the MDF Global network and being an independent Ghana-based regional management consulting and training firm, we bring the best of both worlds. We bring over 35 years of global experience in development intervention, project design and program management enriched with our locally gained expertise. We draw upon our extensive experience in implementation of both public and private sector initiatives in developing economies. MDF WA can draw upon expertise from other regions where MDF Global is operating.
MDF West Africa is looking to recruit entrepreneurial professionals for our Enterprising Partnerships Team (EPT). We develop commercial solutions with impact in sectors such as Agriculture, Fintech and Education; and develop and run support programmes for organisations with the same aim. Examples of this are the management of the Ghana Innovation Hub and its programs for start-ups and SMEs, our Joint Venture for compost and gas production from biowaste, the development of mobile learning apps, developing a payment platform for financial inclusion and developing investment opportunities for ‘missing middle’ entrepreneurs. We are looking for experts who can pro-actively support such efforts, including scouting of partner opportunities, networking and writing of (investment) proposals.
MAIN TASK AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Acquisition of Assignments
• Identify, follow-up and respond to opportunities in the West African region;
• Develop a growth strategy focused both on solving a client need and financial gain;
• Analyze risks and opportunities;
• Build and maintain good working relationships with new and existing clients and ability to conduct research to identify new markets and customer needs;
• Developing timelines for acquisition to ensure the right input and quality control;
• Design and implement business plans and strategies; Write (investment) proposals, (progress) reports and pitch ideas to potential partners;
• Work in a team where you add your knowledge and insights to each other’s projects
B. Execution of Assignments
• Execute consultancies assignments in the area of business development;
• Organize and coordinate operations for your projects in ways that ensure maximum productivity;
• Take the lead in project management and steer and engage a team of 2 to 5 staff/colleagues/partners during execution of assignments;
• Update MDF WA management on assignment execution status regularly and effectively - presenting issues/concerns and recommended measures to address them;
• Maintain client and partner contact during execution and contracting of assignments i.e. process management. You are the focal person for the client and take responsibility for your projects;
• Report (verbal and written) on your projects to all stakeholders. Lead the (baseline, mid-term and final) report writing process and ensure report quality;
• Provide needed support on other assignments where other MDF colleagues are Project Managers.
Qualification Required & Experience
Technical Competencies and Professional Experiences
• You are highly entrepreneurial; previous experience in running an own business is a plus;
• You have at least a bachelor degree in business, ICT, finance, agriculture, law, international trade or any other relevant field;
• You have a minimum of 5 to 10 years work experience in the private sector – i.e. as a business development manager, investment manager, sales executive, project manager or other relevant roles;
• Previous consultancy and advisory expertise, individually or as part of an organization/firm is a plus;
• You have regional and international working experience;
• You are familiar with the lean start-up method and human-centered design;
• You are capable to handle administrative, communication and knowledge management technologies – i.e. Microsoft Word and Excel, Email Management System, Adobe, Skype, LinkedIn, and more;
• You must be fluent in English speaking and writing; French is a plus.
• You have experience in participatory facilitation and you have excellent presentation skills. You are comfortable in front of a group (4-25 people) with international character;
• Experience in (impact) evaluation is a plus.
• You are interested to learn and improve yourself, the organisation and your projects;
• You are service- and client oriented; You are pro-active, business driven, and professional;
• You are willing to travel within the West-African region;
• You are a team player, flexible, and you go the extra mile;
• You have strong communication skills (both verbal and written) via email, phone and face to face – i.e. respectful business oriented, broad vocabulary, and understanding of culture and customs;
• You can sell your ideas to others;
• You can work independently, take responsibility, and you have a practical approach;
• You can deal with productivity and turnover targets;
• You have excellent organizational, time management, negotiation and persuasion skills;
• You are comfortable in an (international / Dutch) work environment;
• You practise transparency in dealing with colleagues and clients;
• You are good at maintaining relationships and networking;
• You care about making a change.
How To Apply For The Job
• The position will be full-time (40 hour work week)
• Submit your application to
with a copy to: [email protected]
, using Subject: Application Business Development Expert before the 30th of September 2022 (11:59 PM GMT). Applications that are not in before this time will not be entertained.
Your application needs to include the following;
• A cover letter (2-page maximum), outlining your interest, motivation and qualifications for the position;
• Your CV (including two professional references); and
• A sample of relevant work.
• An assessment and reference check will be part of the application procedure.
30 September, 2022
• ECOWAS nationals are encouraged to apply.
• MDF is an equal opportunity employer and our hiring policy is based on merits and qualifications. We encourage qualified women and men to apply.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED WITHIN THE SELECTION AND INTERVIEW PERIOD THAT ENDS ON THE 14TH OF OCTOBER 2022.