Positive Planet, the new name for Planet Finance has set itself a mission to help people across the world to create the conditions for a better future for the next generations and, in particular, for their own descendants. It is in the interests of those living today to help future populations, who in turn will continue the chain. Such is the definition of the positive economy.
To achieve its mission, Positive Planet aims to specifically accompany those persons lacking the means to improve the lives of their own descendants.
To help each person improve the lives of future generations, Positive Planet brings resources to adults, and particularly to the poorest, for them to provide their children with the best environment to grow, learn and achieve their full potential.
Positive Planet, drawing on its experience in microfinance and financial inclusion acquired when operating under the name of PlaNet Finance, aims, therefore, to provide access to a healthy and balanced life for everybody, and particularly the most deprived and their children.
Positive Planet will therefore mobilize the support of all its experts for the poor and needy across the world, so that young children and their parents will have access to housing, clean drinking water, education, health, a safe environment, training, and the financing of their projects in order to release their full potential, individually and collectively. Job Summary
Ghana, Northern Region and Tamale
Positive Planet (Ghana)
• Contract Duration:
1 year, 5 months
• Contract Type:
Fixed term consultancy
• Closing Date:
17th July, 2015
• Preferred Starting Date:
1 August, 2015 Job summary
To create and maintain functional groups and associations at selected rural communities to produce premium quality shea nuts, shea butter and soya beans in commercial quantities for the local extractive market and for export. The selected Business Development Officer of Positive PlaNet in Ghana will have the following responsibilities:
• To organise women shea processors and soya bean producers into groups, clusters, associations and a network.
• To provide technical, group and business management training to strengthen the shea and soya bean network.
• To provide other business advisory services that will enable groups to produce premium quality nuts.
• To support and/or coordinate other business development efforts made by Positive Planet in Ghana. Major responsibilities
As a Business Development Officer of Positive PlaNet in Ghana, and under the direct supervision of the Country Director/Project Manager, the selected applicant will be in charge of:
• Working with women’s groups to groom and train them on how to produce quality soya bean grains in commercial quantities for buyers and sensitise them to the orientation and technical demands of the soya project.
• Supporting the design and review of training manuals on the agronomy and production practices of soya production and to select and modify methodologies used to enhance the quality and yield of production.
• Performing a variety of specialised technical tasks, such as assessing field site characteristics and selecting field locations, determining requirements for fertilizers and pesticides and for providing other production advice.
• Preparing a monitoring action plan that will ensure farmers adhere to good agricultural practices (GAPs) and for training the women on the proper use of equipment, compliance with safety regulations and the proper storage, handling and disposal of hazardous materials used in the production process.
• Compiling experimental and analytical data on soya cultivation. Analysing and discussing results and their interpretation(s) with other team members and maintaining accurate records of crops, tracking crop progress and preparing comparative information on the crop.
• Conducting training and guiding women on how to preserve, protect and maintain equipment and prescribe repairs and the safety measures to be taken in handling the equipment.
• Training and supporting the Shea and soya processors to access and utilise information on the product prices and assisting the network leaders to organise the Shea and soya processors in order to enable them deliver products to final buyers.
• Implementing the Shea and soya quality assurance system of the network at the field level to ensure high and consistent quality of products (in line with international standards).
• Implementing field activities for the establishment of social funds for each community within the Shea and soya programme and participating in activities for the sensitisation of communities within the Shea and soya programme. Geographic Coverage and Reporting Line
Qualified candidate(s) shall be posted to any of the following operational areas within Ghana: Karaga, Gushegu, Nanumba North, Savelugu/Nanton and West Mamprusi districts. This list of locations above serves only as a guide and Positive Planet may decide to re-post an officer (with prior notice) to a new project location based on a decision taken by management in line with expansion or other such reasons that management deems fit.
The successful candidate will be reporting to the Country Director. Salary:
Negotiable Qualification Required & Experience
Technical Expertise Required:
A good understanding of the following areas is required for this position:
• Knowledge in general agricultural practices and techniques in the cultivation of cash crops and staple crops in the Northern part of Ghana. Experience in all the processes involved in the cultivation of Soya beans will be considered a plus.
• Knowledge in managing community projects working with women groups in agriculture, Community Social Funds (CSFs) and village savings & loans (VSLAs) schemes, microfinance etc.
• A good experience or knowledge of Agricultural value-chain projects aimed at supporting smallholder farmers increase their yield, access ready markets and increase profits. Beneficial Expertise and Experience:
The following skills and qualifications would be beneficial to this position:
• Previous experience working in the agricultural sector in Ghana or working on a Soya bean project in another country.
• Part of an existing network of business development and/or advisory contacts (both local and international).
• Holder of a valid motor rider / driver’s licence.
• Ability to ride a motorcycle
Practical Experience Required: 3 years’ work experience in a relevant field Location:
Northern Region and Tamale How To Apply For The Job
Please send your resume and cover letter to: [email protected] Closing Date:
17 July, 2015
• Please quote the following reference in the subject of your e-mail; Ghana BDO 2015
• Women are encouraged to apply.
• Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.