The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) has an exciting opportunity for a Communications & Knowledge Management Expert, who will lead the development and delivery of a communication strategy for achieving impact primarily for the Resilience Against Climate Change - Social Transformation Research and Policy Advocacy (REACH-STR) project, but will also extend to other research conducted by the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) in West Africa. The Expert will provide communications support to Project Leaders and a team of Researchers undertaking various research projects in the region. Duties and Responsibilities: The position holder will work closely with the REACH-STR Project Leader, Country Representative - Ghana and the Communications and Knowledge Management (CKM) team to:
• Develop and implement communication and knowledge management action plans that include media outreach and social media content creation for research projects.
• Conceptualize and develop digital, printed and multimedia communication materials, including presentations, press releases, fliers, brochures, posters, web and social media campaigns, infographics, informational videos, and blogs based on insights from research projects, and according to donor requirements and IWMI branding guidelines.
• Identify and filter key messages and recommendations from technical research reports and package these for dissemination among different stakeholders.
• Develop news stories and opinion articles, cultivate relationships with journalists, coordinate interviews with researchers, and organize media participation in field visits and key events.
• Assist the research teams with writing, editing and translating.
• Develop and maintain contacts with the media, and establish a media outlet database for the REACH-STR project.
• Engage/network – support the identification of key clients and partners, maintain relevant information on and with them, and engage with research.
• Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in development planning and policy making.
• Compile, edit and distribute regular newsletters to targeted audiences and update project mailing lists.
• Support the documentation of internal and external meetings and workshops with clients and partners.
• Learn and share – develop systems to support learning, reflection and sharing among research teams, projects and partners.
• Liaise with the Communications and Knowledge Management (CKM) division and the CGIAR Research Program on Water, Land and Ecosystems (WLE) at IWMI headquarters to provide information and material as needed.
• Contribute to the preparation of project proposals to ensure inclusion of clear communication and uptake strategies, and activities. Qualification Required & Experience Essential:
• A master’s degree in journalism/mass communication or any discipline relevant to IWMI’s mandate, e.g., natural/physical sciences or social sciences.
• A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional and applied experience.
• Experience in the design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of communications and knowledge management plans in multidisciplinary research for development programs.
• Experience in content writing and editing for all relevant media platforms.
• Demonstrated success in working for international programs and in an international work environment.
• Basic understanding and willingness to consider gender and inclusion in communication materials.
• Experience in writing on scientific and development issues. Desirable:
• Additional degree in public relations, journalism or mass communication or related subjects.
• Work experience in West Africa will be desirable. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED: Essential:
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and French.
• A demonstrated ability to use various communication channels, social media and collaborative tools to communicate research for development studies to a broad range of stakeholders.
• Ability to work with partners to achieve joint objectives.
• A strong analytical mind, the ability to listen carefully, and synthesize and communicate persuasively.
• Innovative, positive attitude and the ability to take initiative.
• Good organizational and planning abilities.
• Highly computer literate with the ability to use Microsoft Office software packages.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Strategic communication and public speaking skills.
• Pragmatic, proactive, passionate, strategic and creative mindset.
• Knowledge of photo and video editing and the use of requisite software. Desirable:
• Ability to write scripts and produce videos for social media and other promotional purposes.
• Skills in photo storytelling and graphic design. Benefits
This is a nationally recruited position and only citizens of Ghana are encouraged to apply. IWMI offers a competitive salary and benefits package, inclusive of health insurance, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, and long-term disability coverage. The duration of the contract will initially be for a period of three years with the possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funds. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
To submit your application, click on the link below and complete all relevant fields on the online application form. Click Here To Apply Online Closing Date:
23 December, 2020