Communications Officer Status:
Full Time Reports to:
Communication Specialist Background:
USAID/West Africa’s Biodiversity and Climate Change (WA-BiCC) program aims to build regional and national institutional capacity to strengthen the enabling environment throughout West Africa to combat wildlife trafficking; improve coastal resilience; and reduce deforestation, degradation, and biodiversity loss in key forests.
Tetra Tech ARD is the lead implementer responsible for delivery of the technical requirements of WA- BiCC. ARD is partnering with PCI Media Impact and other technical partners to enhance incentives for behavior change. In order to achieve this, PCI Media Impact has been contracted to provide technical expertise to the WA BiCC Program to develop an innovative Communication for Development (C4D) strategy, which employs strategic program communications and Education-Entertainment (Behavior Change Communications) delivered to target audiences across the region. The overall C4D strategy will be developed with the WA BiCC team and in close consultation with core regional partners ECOWAS, the Mano River Union, and the Abidjan Convention, other implementing partners (in addition to PCI this includes Pact, dTS and Wetlands International Africa). The C4D strategy will be adaptable in scale and reach, ranging from local communications on the landscape (particularly those receiving direct WA BiCC support) and community levels, to government agencies, civil society institutions and NGOs on the national and sub-regional level, regional organizations, USAID, donors and global audiences in order to ensure that the WA BiCC C4D approach helps those organizations effectively execute their mandates and reach the diverse audiences critical to the successful achievement of WA BiCC outcomes.
In addition, PCI Media Impact will provide assistance to WA BiCC for its internal and external program communications such as production and dissemination of: technical reports, progress reports, technical briefs, social media, development of the program website, etc.
PCI Media Impact has been sub-contracted to Tetra Tech as an implementing partner for WA BiCC. PCI Media Impact has empowered communities worldwide to inspire positive social and environmental change through storytelling and creative communications. We are a leader in the communication for development field, with a particular expertise in Entertainment-Education.
For 30 years, PCI Media Impact has worked with a range of partners to advance the well-being of vulnerable populations by improving knowledge, shifting attitudes, and changing behaviors with regards to critical social and environmental issues. PCI Media Impact is committed to three interconnected themes – Health, Empowerment and Environment – addressing a wide variety of issues including: natural resource management, sustainable development, women’s and youth empowerment and education family planning, human trafficking and others. Together with partners around the world, we have produced more than 5,000 episodes of 100 television and radio productions, reaching more than one billion people in over 45 countries. The Communications Officer Job Summary
• The Communications Officer will report to the Communications Specialist. The Communications Officer is part of the WA BiCC Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) team (Accra and Freetown).
• The Communications Officer (Freetown) will support the behavior change communication through the development and production of an on-going serial radio drama, complementary interactive radio discussion shows, and community engagement events in targeted communities. Primary Responsibilities
• In coordination with the WA BiCC team support the development of and ensure delivery of behavior change communications
o Support the design, planning and delivery of Entertainment-Education trainings and workshops for relevant partners and stakeholders, such as scriptwriters and radio hosts.
o Manage implementation of regional radio call-in shows across all intervention sites
• Attend weekly meetings of the WA BiCC teams in Accra and Freetown and Skype meetings with the PCI Media Impact team as needed
• Undertake regional West Arica travel as required to fulfil the needs of this position in coordination with the technical line supervisor and COP
• Work as part of the program team to support an M&E process to measure WA BiCC related program impacts
• Track budget flows related to production
• Additional tasks may be assigned from time to time. Qualification Required & Experience
Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
• Education and/or experience equivalent to a Master’s Degree in communication, C4D, entertainment-education/ narrative based communication for development, social marketing or a relevant field
• Experience in audio and/or video production
• 2 - 5 years field experience working in Africa, preferably West Africa, in C4D and preferably in narrative based formats, both radio and video
• Strong experience in and understanding of new media, as well as traditional and digital media in Africa
• Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and French (other widely spoken African languages would be an advantage)
• Strong interpersonal skills including: Strong negotiation skills; Ability to represent the organization at external events; comfortable with public presentation skills
• Time Management: excellent organizational skills are required to keep pace with the program while delivering high quality communication products Location:
Ghana How To Apply For The Job
To Apply - Please email your detailed resume and cover letter in one document to:- [email protected]
- Please include “Communication Officer” in the subject of your email. Closing Date:
30 December, 2015