Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality.
The Agency’s three Signature Programming Areas include Emergency Response/Recovery, Agriculture Livelihoods and Health. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs where possible, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has been working in Ghana since 1958 and currently focuses on health, and food security/livelihoods. Mission Statement
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We are motivated by the Gospel of Jesus Christ to cherish, preserve and uphold the sacredness and dignity of all human life, foster charity and justice, and embody Catholic social and moral teaching as we act to:
• Promote human development by responding to major emergencies, fighting disease and poverty, and nurturing peaceful and just societies; and,
• Serve Catholics in the United States as they live their faith in solidarity with their brothers and sisters around the world. Job Description
• Location of Duty:
• Job Title:
Community Mobilization Specialist (CMS)
• Band D
• Reports to:
I-SHINE Project Coordinator
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) has been working in Ghana since 1958 in Health, Agriculture, Peace Building, Water and Sanitation, Microfinance and Education programs. A United States based Foundation has approved the CRS Ghana’s Integrated Sanitation, Hygiene and Nutrition for Education (I-SHINE) Project for a period of three years.
The I-SHINE is a three year project (January 01, 2014 to December 31, 2016) targeting 120 schools across six districts ( three each in Northern and Upper East Regions) of Ghana with the goal of contributing to improving the health and well-being of vulnerable children in six districts in Northern and Upper East Regions of Ghana . I-SHINE Project will be implemented by CRS Ghana in partnership with the Ghana Health Service (GHS), Ghana Education Service (GES) and the District Water and Sanitation Teams of the beneficiary District Assemblies. Purpose
To provide Community Mobilization and WASH technical leadership to the project implementation team and partners to ensure accomplishment of the Integrated Sanitation, Hygiene and Nutrition for Education (I-SHINE) Project objectives and results, while meeting expected technical quality standards Key responsibilities Program Planning and Implementation
• Facilitate community entry in targeted communities and maintain good relationships with community leaders over the life of the project (in collaboration with the Nutrition/SILC and WASH Specialists)
• Provide direct technical support to partners to ensure high technical soundness and high quality results
• Support the I-SHINE Project Coordinator in the smooth and effective implementation of the community and school based mobilization and sensitization activities.
• Support the development and implementation of appropriate participatory approaches to water, hygiene and sanitation including participatory hygiene and sanitation transformation ( PHAST ) and WASH in Schools and to promote community problem solving and decision-making concerning water, , hygiene, sanitation and nutrition activities
• Develop strong relationships with key project partners including Ghana Health Service (GHS), Ghana Education Service and District Assembly at the regional and district levels, local community leaders and other partners identified over the course of implementation in implementation of school and community-based WASH activities.
• Support the capacity building programs for field Officers, staff of Ghana Education Service and Ghana Health Service and community members in all the project strategies as outlined in the technical narrative of the project document
• Provide regular on the spot facilitative support to Field Officers, point persons of implementing partners and ensure proper project tracking, record keeping as well as field level documentation of project activities
• Support Field Officers in the compilation of relevant project reports highlighting project impact against indicators
• Provide support in the development of annual work plans, budget preparation, and provide assistance to implement them to achieve project goals and planned results.
• Participate in periodic reviews, including quarterly reviews to identify success stories relating to the project and areas of improvement
• Collaborate with Field Officers and project implementing partners and the target communities to undertake all activities aimed at enhancing the achievement of project strategic objectives
• Assist Field Officers and partners to identify and promptly resolve all trouble-shooting issues as they arise within the team and work on team building and team communication.
• Perform other related duties as required Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
• Facilitate the collection and compilation of all data necessary for the project implementation.
• Provide assistance to field officers to ensure accurate data processing and timely reporting on project activities
• Conduct monitoring visits to project communities and schools in the districts and submit reports of such visits to ensure quality supervision and monitoring leading to improvement in program deliver
• Support, review and assure timely completion and submission of project reports from Field Officers to the Project Coordinator
• Work closely with M&E Specialist, key component specialists to supervise key project staff on the M&E requirements of the project, and to assure that the I-SHINE Project meets set goals and objectives Key Working Relationships
• Internal: CRS Health Program Manager, I-SHINE Project Coordinator – Health and other line Managers, Nutrition/SILC Specialist M&E Specialist and WASH Specialist
• External: District Directors of Health, Education Services and District Assemblies in target districts. Qualification Required & Experience
• Advance University degree in Social work, Rural/Community Development, Integrated Development Studies or in any related field with extensive experience in community mobilization and sensitization strategies
• At least five years of experience in community mobilizer capacity
• Knowledge of Microsoft word processing (Excel and PowerPoint)
• Demonstrate professional maturity and good interpersonal skills for teamwork, and good written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work to meet deadlines in multiple tasking environments.
• Previous experience working in similar position is desired
• Familiarity with qualitative approaches to M&E
• Sound report writing, interpersonal, facilitation, and communication skills.
• Ability to travel to the district at least 40% of the time Competencies
• Set clear goals and work towards achieving them
• Collaborates effectively with staff and stakeholders
• Manages financial resources with integrity
• Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning Agency-Wide Competencies
• Upholds a Spirit of Service and Integrity
• Cultivates Constructive and Collegial Relationships
• Models Principled Stewardship
• Promotes continuous learning and innovation Location:
Tamale How to Apply For the Job
To apply for this position, please submit your CV and letter of interest to:- [email protected] Closing Date:
22 September, 2015
Application must be saved with this format:- Community Mobilization Specialist (CMS)
• CRS is an equal opportunity employer.
• Female candidates meeting position requirements are strongly encouraged to apply