International Justice Mission (IJM)
NGO / International Agencies
Job Vacancy For Community Mobilization Specialist
IJM is seeking a talented Community Mobilization Specialist to join a multi-disciplinary team in the fight against child trafficking of children in Ghana. The primary role of the Community Mobilization Specialist is to build grassroots relationships, mobilize communities and key power actors at the local level to support IJM’s casework and the fight to end child trafficking on the Volta Lake. This position is based in Accra, Ghana and reports to the Director of Advocacy.
• Identify and build strategic relationships between IJM and local government authorities within source and destination communities in Ghana;
• Influence local authorities to prioritize issues of child trafficking in their Medium Term Development Plan (MDTP);
• Engage and support local authorities within source and destination communities to implement targeted social intervention programs that seeks to end child trafficking;
• Engage local authorities to support IJMs approach in the fight against child trafficking by supporting rescue, arrest, restoration, prosecution and reintegration;
• Facilitate the development and enforcement of local legislations that prohibits child trafficking; and
• Mobilize communities and local power actors to advocate against child trafficking and support efforts in ending tthe menace.
• Develop strategic relationships with key traditional leaders within source and destination communities;
• Educate traditional leaders on child trafficking and influence them to become advocates;
• Influence traditional leaders to develop and enforce community by-laws that prohibit child trafficking; and
• Engage traditional leaders and other opinion leaders to mobilize their communities for an end to child trafficking.
• Organize local outreaches to sensitize and equip communities on child trafficking;
• Strategically map-out vulnerable communities with prevalence of child trafficking cases in source and destination communities;
• Map-out key community influencers for relationship building; and
• Support in developing strategic relationships for case referrals, community entry, law enforcement, and reintegration.
• Develop relationships with key church leaders at the national and local levels to promote God’s heart for justice;
• Mobilize churches at the national and local level to support IJM’s work and become advocates against child trafficking;
• Speak in churches on Biblical Justice and Child Trafficking;
• Train church leaders on Biblical Justice and mobilize them to take various actions at promoting justice and ending child trafficking; and
• Perform any other responsibilities that maybe assigned by supervisor.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study from an accredited university;
• Graduate degree preferable, but not required;
• Sound Biblical understanding on social issues;
• Minimum of 3 years’ working experience with churches, local communities, community groups and civil society groups;
• Experience speaking in churches, conferences and other influential platforms
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
• Ability to articulate IJM’s mission and position persuasively to diverse audiences;
• Excellent analytical/problem-solving skills and detail orientation;
• Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
• Flexibility and ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects;
• Experience finding creative ways to optimize limited resources;
• Mature team player with strong interpersonal skills;
• Experience in mobilizing and influencing communities for a cause; and
• Experience in networking with opinion leaders and strategic influential people/groups.
• Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
• A genuine passion for IJM and biblical justice;
• High level of honesty and integrity;
• Adept at personalized care and service for a variety of stakeholders;
• Personable; creative; bridge builder and strategist;
• Savvy about people, organizations and settings; and
• Self-starter with strong initiative.
How to Apply For the Job
Send Job Application Form, Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith*
By E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 18 January, 2019
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.
The mission of International Justice Mission is to protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing the criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.