The U.S. Embassy in Accra, Ghana is seeking an individual for the position of a Computer Programmer in the Information Systems Center (ISC) of the Embassy. POSITION NO:
A55002 BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
The incumbent is responsible for analyzing, developing and maintaining detailed application programs to handle specific job functions and business process improvement for the U.S. Mission which may be determined by the Information Management Officer (IMO) / Information Systems Officer (ISO) or head of section. The incumbent is primarily responsible for end-user training for all 15+ post specific applications residing in Accra's server farm. S/he is also responsible for ensuring that all newly development programs are properly vetted through the Local Configuration Control Board (LCCB) and meet all the Diplomatic Security guidelines as outlined by the Department's Information Assurance test and evaluation guidance as set forth in the Federal Information System Management Application (FISMA) guidance. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES % of Time Computer Customer Support: 15%
• Provides help desk and customer support as it relates to application problems or incompatibility scripts. Computer Programming Support: 80%
• Writes and modifies word processing macros and spreadsheet templates for users throughout the Embassy, develops and implements application programs involving the latest technologies for local use, handles the documentation of applications and the training of users relative to applications and vendor software.
• Conceives, designs, and tests logical instructions for solving post-specific computer requirements.
• Interprets processes, work flow and data modules as determined by the IMO and other section heads for the U.S. Mission.
• Uses appropriate programming language or tools to automate much of the coding process.
• Updates, modifies and expands existing post-specific Web programs and database applications.
• Tests and debugs programs by ensuring that coded instructions are correct and that the program produces the desired outcome.
• Analyzes complex work processes, mission’s operations or functions being considered for automation and carries out feasibility studies. Evaluates complex program applications to determine impact on overall system workload and compatibility with other program applications being run.
• Writes procedures language programs, creates scripts and batch files to automate routine operations based on specifications and system architecture developed during analysis of functions and processes.
• Modifies complex program applications developed by other sources, including agency headquarters and vendors as necessary to customize them for local use; modifies and maintains internet/intranet, SharePoint 2010 site and web-based applications using HTML, XML, DHTML, Adobe Web Standard CS4, Adobe Dreamweaver V10.0, Adobe Fireworks V10.0, Adobe Flash CS4 V10.0, Microsoft Visual Studio, Crystal Report X1 & 2. Also ASP VB Script, Java Script and Visual Basic.
• New Proposals for Applications Development: 5% a.
Analyzes data gathered and inherent limitations/drawbacks of the existing system, current utilization rates. b.
Proposes possible automated solutions and highlights possible equipment changes, possible conflicts with existing systems, potential benefits and cost implications in terms of computer equipment and system software needs and availability. c.
Analyses hardware and software requirements and capabilities to meet U.S. Embassy’s current and anticipated requirements in a dynamic and complex changing systems environment and recommends suitable configuration to satisfy the expanding needs within the Embassy.
• In cases of outside programming the incumbent must develops technical specifications proposals for procurement/contractual services, oversees the technical evaluation of bids and proposals received, monitors the procurement process, and manages the contract service; manages system assets with respect to deployment and usage; tracks and monitors IT projects' progress against plan, requirements, quality measures, standard processes. Qualification Required & Experience NOTE:
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
• A Bachelor of Science degree in computer science or information systems, and an Industry certification in at least one core Information Technology Area i.e. software, security, hardware, server or equivalent and a minimum of three years’ experience in information technology is required. OR Without a degree, a minimum of seven years direct industry experience is required and an Industry certification in at least one core Information Technology Area i.e. software, security, hardware, server or equivalent.
• Level IV (good working knowledge) in English is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
• Must understand the interdependencies of various platform and basic application programming structures. Must have a keen awareness of the latest server hardware and software thresholds. Must have in-depth understanding of Archive Server Pages (ASP), Dreamweaver, Java Script, VB Script, Cold Fusion, SQL server and other allied software development tools.
• Must be able to solve technical computer programming design and coding issues. Must have good planning skills, and be highly innovative. Supervisory abilities and formal instructions to subordinates and new users. Ability to maintain and operate performance monitor and other system utilization monitors for application performance. Good technical skills are required to trouble-shoot, diagnose and resolve computer programming problems. Good interpersonal skills are required. GH¢56,457.00
p.a. (Starting salary) Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment (UAE) as a locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174): or
2. A combination of both: i.e. Section 1-24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicant’s work experience attached as a separate sheet; or
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the UAE (see section 3A below for more information): plus
4. Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form
DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veteran preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
5. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
6. A telephone number, post office box and/or e-mail address where we can contact you to schedule an interview.
3A. If an applicant is submitting a resume or curriculum vitae, s/he must provide the following information equal to what is found on the UAE. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
A. Position Title
B. Position Grade
C. Vacancy Announcement Number (if known)
D. Dates Available for Work
E. First, Middle, & Last Names as well as any other names used
F. Date and Place of Birth
G. Current Address, Day, Evening, and Cell phone numbers
H. U.S. Citizenship Status (Yes or No) & status of permanent U.S. Resident (Yes or No; if yes, provide number)
I. U.S. Social Security Number and/or Identification Number
J. Eligibility to work in the country (Yes or No)
K. Special Accommodations the Mission needs to provide
L. If applying for position that includes driving a U.S. Government vehicle, Driver’s License Class / Type
M. Days available to work
N. List any relatives or members of your household that work for the U.S. Government (include their Name, Relationship, & Agency, Position, Location)
O. U.S. Eligible Family Member and Veterans Hiring Preference
Q. License, Skills, Training, Membership, & Recognition
R. Language Skills
S. Work Experience
T. References NOTE:
1. All applications must have the Position Number
and Position Title
2. All “Hard Copy”/printed applications must be submitted to the Mail Room at the
Chancery. Hard Copy Applications submitted through any other office will not be accepted. You may apply on-line using the email address.:- [email protected]
This is the preferred means of applying for a position with the American Embassy.
3. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE FOR AN OPEN/ADVERTIZED POSITION. APPLICATIONS PREVIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR A JOB WILL NOT BE HELD/CONSIDERED FOR FUTURE JOBS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, YOU MUST RE-APPLY. SUBMIT APPLICATION TO: Human Resources Office Through the Mailroom, Chancery American Embassy, Accra P.O. Box GP194, Accra POINT OF CONTACT:
E-mail: [email protected] Closing Date:
23 October, 2015 NOTE: ALL U.S. AND NON-GHANAIAN CITIZENS, WHO ARE NOT FAMILY MEMBERS OF USG EMPLOYEES OFFICIALLY ASSIGNED TO POST AND UNDER CHIEF OF MISSION AUTHORITY, MUST ATTACH COPIES OF THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION. NO RELOCATION EXPENSES ARE PROVIDED TO THE JOB LOCATION: ACCRA, GHANA. IF TRANSPORTATION TO ACCRA IS REQUIRED, IT WILL BE THE EMPLOYEE’S RESPONSIBILITY.