URC and the USAID-funded Systems for Health Project is recruiting for the under-listed position to be part of the Project’s Team.
• Construction Engineer
• Length of Contract:
1 year, renewable
• Reports to:
Chief of Party
Greater Accra, Northern, or Volta Region (2 positions) Job Summary
The position of Construction Engineer is located in the Technical Office of USAID Systems for Health Project office in Accra or one of the Regional Offices in Tamale or Ho. The incumbent will work closely with the Chief of Party, and under his supervision provide administrative support for renovation and construction activities. Key responsibilities include: Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide administrative support for the bid solicitation process for construction and renovation contracts
• Support administration of facility renovation contracts, including preparation of documentation for finalizing purchase orders and subcontracts, maintenance of files for contractor agreements and coordination with HQ contracts and program support team.
• Maintain facility renovations tracker in collaboration with the finance and program management teams
• Prepare payment documentation for the finance team in accordance with the purchase order and subcontract agreements
• Organize site monitoring visits, scheduling logistics and coordinating with the program management team
• Develop/review drawings, plans and measurements for works to be contracted
• Review quotations and bids by potential Contractors
• Consult/work with Architects, Engineers and Contractors to meet URC construction and renovation requirements
• Supervise/oversee works carried out by Contractors to ensure that they meet the desired quality and are carried out within the time limits. Qualification Required & Experience
• Advanced degree in Civil Engineering or related field is required.
• A minimum of 10 years of professional experience in Civil/Construction Engineering, as well as experience designing and/or supervising infrastructure and/or building projects, particularly in the healthcare or medical sector, is required. Experience in project management, construction management, tendering and engineering contracting; knowledge and experience in financial planning/budgeting and monitoring and evaluation. Prior experience with managing donor-assisted development programs in the area of design of buildings, bidding and construction supervision policies. Prior experience in the areas of renovation or construction of health facilities in general is required. Relevant professional experience in project development with governmental agencies, private sector, international donors, or non-governmental organizations (NGOs) is an added advantage. Experience working with USAID or other USG-funded projects is also an added advantage.
• A thorough knowledge of rules and regulations governing facility construction, renovation, maintenance, and acquisition is required. Demonstrated specialized knowledge of engineering design, renovation and construction standards for health facilities; competitive procurement procedures for commodities and services; and project/program management principles and practices are also required.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required. Skills & Abilities
• Ability to multi-task in a high-paced environment.
• A general level of managerial & Intellectual experience.
• Demonstrated experience training and supervising employees.
• Demonstrated project management skills including strong financial management skills.
• Ability to analyze, conceptualize, negotiate, exercise sound judgement, originate ideas and creative solutions.
• Ability to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously, work collaboratively as part of a team and interact effectively
• Proficiency with AutoCAD and MS Office Suite, with excellent MS Word and Excel skills. Location:
Greater Accra, Northern, or Volta Region How To Apply For The Job
Please note: Only candidates who are eligible to work in Ghana for an indefinite period without a need for sponsorship will be considered for this position. To Apply
For immediate consideration, please email your CV and Cover Letter, addressed to the:- HR & Admin. Officer, USAID Systems for Health Project, PMB CT 134, Accra - Ghana
to:- [email protected]
indicating “Construction Engineer” (including preference of location) in the subject line. Closing Date:
21 October, 2015
• Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted.
• No phone calls please.
• However, since we are active around the world in the field of public health, we may wish to retain your CV in our database for other/future opportunities, unless you direct us otherwise.
• Thank you very much for your interest.