Appointed as staff member of the Financial Controller’s Office, the Controller may be posted to one of the institutions, specialized agencies, or any other ECOWAS structure. He/she will discharge his functions under the supervision of a Principal Controller in charge of the structure to which he/she is posted. He/she will constantly ensure that financial and administrative operations with financial implications for the institution to which he/she is posted are performed in line with the decisions, regulations and other texts governing the institution and with due regard for efficiency and effectiveness.
The main role of the Controller shall be to provide assurance to the Office of the Financial Controller that the financial resources of the institution or agency to which he/she is attached are used for the purposes for which they have been allocated and managed efficiently. He/she shall ensure the regularity, accuracy, authorization, funding, appropriation and adequacy of documents for all budget commitments and financial transactions. In the execution of his functions, He/she shall be guided by the ECOWAS Financial Controller’s Manual. He/she will discharge his/her duties independently and objectively. Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the Controller are as follows:
• Budgetary and financial control: Pre-audits all budgetary and financial transactions in the institution or agency to which he/she is attached. Verifies all expenditures in terms of the heading to which they are charged, their legality, availability of funds, their accuracy, and impact on the finances of the institution. Ensures that funds are used for the purposes for which they have been allocated and with due regard to economy and efficiency. Examines all requests for budgetary adjustments (virements) and submits to the Financial Controller for approval. Participates in the physical inventory of the institution’s assets at the close of each financial year or whenever the need arises. Conducts independent checks and reviews of bank accounts of the institution or agency.
• Compliance with decisions, regulations and other texts of the Community:
The Controller ensures strict compliance with the Financial Regulations, the Manual of Accounting and Financial Procedures, the Staff Regulations and other ECOWAS texts. He/she also ensures proper application of the quarterly exchange rates published by the ECOWAS Bank for Investment and Development (EBID). He/she participates in the revision of the ECOWAS Financial Regulations and Manual of Accounting Procedures, and the establishment of internal management procedures within the institutions, specialized agencies and other offices of the Community to which He/she is attached.
• Advisory functions:
The Controller advises the Institutions and Financial Controller on all major aspects of budgetary and financial control of the institution or agency. He/she makes proposals for the improvement of administrative, financial and accounting procedures and systems, financial management and budget processes of the institutions/agencies to which He/she is attached. Makes observations and recommendations on any financial and budgetary transactions he/she deems necessary.
• Reporting functions:
Submits monthly reports on the budgetary and financial transactions of the institution or agency to the Financial Controller in line with the ECOWAS Financial Controller’s Manual. Prepares quarterly reports on the execution of the budget indicating major findings and recommendations.
• Relations with Internal Auditors, External Auditors and third parties:
Provides assistance to Internal Auditors, External Auditors, donors and partners in collaboration with institutions, specialized agencies and other structures of the Community, on issues relating to management in general, and administrative, financial and accounts control in particular.
• Other duties:
Carries out any assignment at the request of his/her immediate boss and any other assignment as stipulated in the ECOWAS Financial Controller’s Manual. Qualification Required & Experience
• Bachelors degree in one of the following disciplines: Accounting, Business Management, Auditing, Finance, Economics or a professional qualification in accounting;
• A minimum of seven (7) years (P4) or five (5) years (P3) working experience in Accounting or Auditing or Financial Management, preferably in both public and private sectors and in a multicultural environment.
• A higher qualification will reduce the required number of years of experience by two (2) years.
• Experience working with or within an international or multilateral institution will be an advantage.
• Fluency, both oral and written, in any one of English, French or Portuguese and a good knowledge of either one of the other languages. Competencies
• Good knowledge practical use Microsoft Suite
• Must be strict, methodical and organized
• Must have a critical mind and be diplomatic
• Must be enterprising, discrete, objective and impartial
• Must be able to convince people and create an atmosphere of trust
• Must be able to make relevant observations and recommendations
• Must be able to accept criticisms and different views by his colleagues
• Must be able to deal with people in a manner that shows sensitivity, tact and professionalism
• Must have excellent human relations skills and be a strong negotiator
• Must be able to fit and integrate into a multicultural setting
• Good presentation skills Age
Candidates should not be over 50 years old at the point of recruitment and must be a citizen of one of the ECOWAS member states. Language
Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the Community: English, French and Portuguese. A working knowledge of another would be an advantage. Annual Salary:
USD 44,328 - USD 51,637 Location:
Lome, Togo How To Apply For The Job
Applicants may use the application form to apply indicating the position(s) they are interested in. Interested candidates should download the application form
, fill it and send it together with their CV as an email attachment to the following email address: [email protected] Closing Date:
30 June, 2015
• Applicants should indicate in the body of their forwarding mail, the title(s) of the position(s) they are applying for.
• NB: PLEASE DO NOT ATTACH YOUR CERTIFICATES TO THE APPLICATION EMAIL.
• ANY APPLICATION RECEIVED AFTER THE VACANCY CLOSING DATE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
• Applicants experiencing difficulties sending their application with a hotmail or windows live email account should forward their application via other mail providers such as Gmail, Yahoo, etc. Applicants may also call +2347034188920
for further information.
• Applicants may also call +2347034188920
for further information. Please call this number from Monday to Friday between 9AM and 5PM (GMT+1).