The University of Ghana Computing Systems (UGCS) is responsible for all IT related services that support the University of Ghana in its teaching, learning, research, management, and administrative processes towards the fulfilment of its vision of becoming a world-class research-intensive University. UGCS is poised to support the University in the use of technology in all areas of its operations. JOB SUMMARY
• The IT Services Division provides core Information and Communication Technology (ICT) services and support to faculty, staff and students of UG. The Deputy CITO (IT Services) ensures the successful execution of the University of Ghana’s vision and mission through the development and use of appropriate IT services.
• The Deputy CITO (IT Services) works with the UGCS team and external partners to ensure the efficient provision of IT services for academic and administrative work. The job requires envisioning the University’s service offerings- education, research, and administration – as a business model driven by IT services. The Deputy CITO (IT Services) oversees the following units:
• Academic Computing
• Administrative Computing
• IT Services Engineering Key responsibilities include, among others:
• Define and implement policies, standards and procedures for use of applications in teaching, learning, research and administration.
• Build and manage the application and systems development team and ensure that the team develops applications and database systems in a high-quality, maintainable, and scalable fashion.
• In conjunction with team leaders, is responsible for managing technology vendor relationships in a manner that ensures cost-effective and timely procurement of hardware, software, and services.
• Ensure the IT Services team has clear goals and direction and a culture of service excellence.
• Evaluate cost/benefit of improvement opportunities and set development priorities.
• Develop and lead project teams focused on redesigning core applications, systems, and work processes.
• Identify and evaluate new technologies and their appropriate applications and potential impact on teaching, learning, research and administration.
• Facilitate the provision of electronic library resources, institutional repository etc.
• Perform other duties as required in support of the IT functions or assigned by the CITO. Qualification Required & Experience
• A Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, IT Management or a related field.
• 10-12 years’ experience working in the IT industry and a minimum of six (6) years progressive management experience overseeing and leading software product development teams and strategic initiatives.
• Experience in managing an IT division within a large organization in the public or private sector.
• In-depth knowledge of multiple complex business application software packages.
• Ability to develop knowledge in progressive web communication technologies.
• Experience in managing external vendor relationships.
• A broad knowledge of trends and the future directions of IT and its application in higher education.
• Excellent understanding of project management principles.
• Ability to communicate concepts and processes clearly and effectively in oral and written form.
• Demonstrate strong customer service skills.
• Ability to determine resources requirements, develop an annual financial budget sufficient to cover the cost of administration, training, technical support, supervision, procurement, system upgrades and replacements. TENURE
The person appointed as Deputy Chief Information Technology Officer (Deputy CITO) - IT Services shall hold office for a period of four years and may be eligible for re-appointment, for a further term. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
An applicant is required to submit the complete application pack to the Registrar, University of Ghana, P. O. Box LG 25, Legon, Accra, Ghana
By email to: [email protected] The application pack should contain the following:
• Completed application form for Senior Level Administrative Positions (UAB Form 1C)
to be downloaded from the University’s website at www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd
• An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and copies of relevant academic and professional certificates.
• A statement of about 2,500 words (not more than five pages) indicating how one intends to use the period in office to address relevant issues that will ensure that the University achieves its vision and mission.
The UG strategic plan can be downloaded at: http://www.ug.edu.gh/pad/publication/ug-strategic-plan. Further information about the University of Ghana may be found on the University’s website at www.ug.edu.gh
. Closing Date:
20 December, 2021
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.