Development Officer (LE-09) (Indeterminate) Salary Range:
Starting GHp 79,381 (gross per annum) (Currently under review) Competition #:
CO/01/15 Summary of Duties:
The High Commission of Canada in Ghana has a requirement for a Development Officer in the "Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Team" and the"Food Security Team" of the Development Assistance section.
Under the general direction of the Deputy Director (Field Operations) and the immediate supervision of the Senior Development Officer (and Water. Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Sector Team Lead.) the Development Officer:
• assists in the implementation of Canada's Official Development Assistance (ODA) programme in the WASH sector in Ghana;
• identifies, assesses and negotiates new Department of Foreign Affairs,Trade and Development (DFATD) WASH programming initiatives;
• manages the implementation of DFATD WASH projects;
• promotes Canadian positions as DFATD representative on the WASH Sector Working Group;
• and performs other duties. Area of selection/Eligibility:
• This position is open to all individuals who are eligible to work in Ghana and who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date.
• The Canadian Government is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor. Conditions of Employment:
• Any job offer is subject to Reliability security screening (including a criminal record and credit check).
• Proof of right to work in Ghana and copies of educational qualifications will be required at the interview stage of the process. Qualification Required & Experience Essential Criteria:
• Master's degree in development studies, development planning, development economics, international development, project management or related field.
• 5 years' recent* work experience in international development project management, including planning, implementation, risk management, and/or monitoring and evaluation;
• 3 years' recent* work experience in policy analysis and programme development in Ghana in WASH sector;
• Recent* experience working with Government, Bilateral/Multilateral agencies, and/or Civil Society.
• Recent experience Is defined as within the last 7 years.
• Language: - Fluency in English (oral and written) Rated Requirements:
Management reserves the right to assess the knowledge, ability and skills and competency criteria using
either of the following: written exam and Interview. Knowledge:
• Knowledge of WASH issues, especially in Northern Ghana:
• Knowledge of institutions and policies related to WASH in Ghana;
• Knowledge of new and emerging development theories and donor practices as applied to middle income countries;
• Knowledge of development issues including gender equality, participatory approaches; interdisciplinary studies and methods;
• Knowledge of Ghanaian political, developmental, social, and economic context;
• Familiarity with Ghanaian NGOs and civil society organisations.
• Advanced Knowledge of Microsoft Office: (Outlook,Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and working with databases Abilities/Skills:
• Demonstrated ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders;
• Ability to co-ordinate conflicting priorities and respect deadlines;
• Capacity for individual initiative;
• Demonstrated research and analytical abilities;
• Ability to build and sustain effective working relationships;
• Strong interpersonal and team collaboration skills;
• Strong written and oral communication skills, (oral & written)
• Teamwork & cooperation Personal suitability:
• Discretion, professional integrity and excellent judgement:
• High degree of initiative;
• Flexibility and adaptability;
• Dependability and loyalty. Asset Qualifications:
• Preference may be given to candidates who have the following asset qualifications; Language:
• Fluency in French (oral & written) Experience:
• Experience providing analysis, advice and recommendations to DFATD management on WASH issues;
• If candidates meet the education and/or experience factors listed in the asset qualifications, they must clearly demonstrate these in their Cover Letter and/or CV in order for them to be considered.
Organisational Needs: Operational Requirements:
• Ability and willingness to work overtime when required;
• Ability and willingness to travel occasionally.
• Normal work week 37.5 hours Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Please click on the link www.wfca-tpce.com
and complete the online application form.
• Candidates are also required to upload a CV and a covering letter.
• Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information will be rejected.
• Candidates must demonstrate concisely in their cover letter how they meet the essential and asset qualifications. Important notes:
• Candidates are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice.
• They are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application (English or French)
• Communication for this process will be sent via email.
• It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
• Candidates who apply to this selection process should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email).
• Candidates selected at the screening stage will be invited to attend a written examination and if successful will be invited to attend an interview.
• Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
• The High Commission of Canada to Ghana does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
• The High Commission of Canada in Ghana does not sponsor work permits directly or indirectly
• The results of this competition may also be used to establish an eligibility list of staff for similar openings at the High Commission of Canada to Ghana which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this competition.
• If you have any questions at any stage of the process please send an email to:- [email protected]
The HR section will contact only those applicants who submit a complete application showing how they fully meet the screening requirements, received as Instructed June 19. 2015 at 4:00 p.m. Closing Date:
30 June, 2015