The Ghana Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is inviting applications from suitably qualified Ghanaians for the undermentioned position within the Council.
Job Title: DIRECTOR OF CSIR - SAVANNA AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE (SARI), TAMALE
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) Ghana is a national scientific and technological institution mandated to carry out research into science and technology issues that pertain to national development. The CSIR was established in October 1968 and re-established in its present form by Council for Scientific and Industrial Research Act, 1996. Act 521.
By Act 521, the CSIR is required to promote, encourage and regulate research and the application of science and technology for national development. The Act further requires the CSIR to encourage and promote the commercialization of research results. From its Head Office in Accra. the CSIR oversees and co-ordinates the activities of thirteen (13) research institutes, including the CSIR-Savannah /Agricultural Research Institute (SARI), Tamale. The Act is available on the CSIR Website www.csir.org.gh
The mandate of the CSIR-SARI is to provide farmers in the Northern. North East, Savanna, Upper East and Upper West regions with technologies to increase their food and fibre crop production based on a sustainable production system which maintains and/or increases soil fertility.
The successful applicant will,
• Serve as the Head of the Institute and will be responsible to the Director-General for the day-to-day administration of the affairs of the Institute.
• Establish effective linkages with relevant institutions and agencies within and outside the CSIR.
• Co-ordinate prioritised research of the Institute under the broad guidance of the Director-General.
• Promote the transfer of technology to industry/agricultural business and commercialization of research.
• Co-ordinate research funding initiatives and provide services and inputs to determine research prionties. as well as formulate and implement Science and technology Plans.
• Be responsible for the overall management and development of the human resource base of the Institute.
Qualification Required & Experience
The ideal applicant must have:
• A PhD degree or equivalent qualification in Agricultural or Biological/Physical Sciences from a recognised University or Institution.
• Not less than 12 years' experience in Research and Development (R & D), including at least 5 years of successful experience in a management position.
• Distinguished research contribution as evidenced by scientific publications. The research output should be adjudged to be at least equivalent to that of an Associate Professor/Principal Research Scientist.
• Ability to organise. direct and co-ordinate activities within a Research institute for national development
• Good knowledge of the agencies in the relevant Sectors, as well as the ability to interact with top management in other institutions and agencies
• Proven ability to inspire research staff and supporting personnel
• Ability to generate and attract funding, both internally and externally, to support research activities.
• 8 Ability to translate policy decisions into action programmes.
• Good interpersonal relations.
The applicant must be 55 years or less
The position is for Five (5) years in the first instance, and may be renewed subject to satisfactory performance on the job.
The salary is attractive with fringe benefits.
How To Apply For The Job
Interested applicants are to submit the following in addition to the application letter:
• Full Curriculum Vitae
• Name and Addresses of three (3) confidential referees
• A 2-3 page Vision Statement for the advertised position
Applications should be forwarded to the following address not later than 7th March /20
The Director General
Council For Scientific and Industrial Research
P. O. BOX M 32
Applications may also be brought personally to the CSIR Head Office, Off Agostino Neto Road Accra (Opposite the Chinese Embassy)
07 March, 2020
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.