The Director of Educational Programs is primarily responsible for coordination, evaluation and development of the school’s teaching and learning programs and the implementation of a comprehensive researched based professional development program for all personnel. The scope of the position includes preparing and achieving high standards for quality and excellence in the academic program; leading the administrators and staff in development and implementation of the Primary Years, Middle Years and Diploma Programs, development and implementation of a comprehensive continuous school improvement program, assessment of school programs in line with CIS/MSA Accreditation and IB Evaluation and facilitating the design review and development of LCS curriculum grades pre-K – 12. Specific Responsibilities:
• Direct content specific school-wide curriculum development designed to optimize student learning.
• Provide direction and leadership for subject area curriculum reviews and the adoption of resources.
• Provide direction and leadership to the collaborative development of the I.B. programs; provide direction to Diploma and PYP Coordinators to ensure articulated program development;
• Work closely with the Principals to support them in their role as instructional leaders of the school.
• Assist Head of School in design and implementation of professional development plan for entire school.
• Direct and facilitate Educational Leadership group for purpose of curriculum implementation and adoption and design and implementation of a school-wide integrated professional development program.
• Direct and facilitate implementation of a comprehensive School Improvement Plan and relevant committees in achieving the LCS vision for 2015
• Direct and facilitate gathering of teaching and learning data through use of LCS visions and viability scorecards and dashboard programs
• Assist in planning, facilitation and monitoring activities designed to address accreditation and IB program evaluation recommendations and standards
• Communicate effectively with the Board of Trustees, teachers and parents about the LCS professional development, curriculum and school improvement programs.
• Gather and disseminate to staff current information on educational issues, trends, and research.
• Assist in writing annual report summarizing progress on the school improvement program and all other accreditation recommendations. The report should be submitted to the Head of School by May 1 each year.
• Assume responsibilities for any other tasks assigned by the Head of School or Secondary School principal.
• Other duties as assigned by Head of School Qualification Required & Experience
• Master’s Degree in educational leadership, administration, curriculum and instruction or related field
• Teacher certification required
• Principal/Administrator certification required Experience, Skills and Abilities
• Experience in school administration at a high level; prior administrative experience in a similar position
• Minimum of three years experience in school administration; five years experience preferred
• Previous teaching experience; recognized as a master/mentor teacher
• Demonstrable commitment to the philosophy and instructional practices of the International
Baccalaureate and prior experience with Primary Years Programs
• Knowledge of Primary Years, Middle Years and Diploma Program planning and evaluation.
• Successful experience in a multi-cultural school community
• Proven ability as trainer for curriculum development and in planning and facilitating curriculum
• Proven ability to work with Principals to ensure curriculum is implemented.
• Proven experience in mentoring teachers to improve their professional practice.
• Proven experience in curriculum implementation and accreditation processes
• Proven experience in mentoring teachers to improve their professional practice
• Demonstrated ability to conduct effective training programs for teachers
• Experience in building effective partnership with parents.
• Technology literacy and competency in developing and implementing technology plan for
integration within the pre-K - 12 School program
• Demonstrated high level interpersonal skills; ability to lead collaboratively; flexible, creative thinker.
• Demonstrated proficiency in written and oral communications LCS BELIEVES:
• That each employee makes a significant contribution to our success,
• That contribution is not limited to the assigned responsibilities.
• Therefore this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the employee or LCS to only the work identified. It is the expectation of the School that each
employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our
organization. Compensation and Benefits
LCS offers an initial contract term of three years (renewable). The salary for the Director of Educational
Programs is commensurate with the responsibilities of the position and is competitive within Africa; the
School pays Ghanaian taxes on 100% of the salary. Other benefits for the position include international
medical insurance for the director, spouse and two qualifying dependents 18 years or under who reside with the director full time.. In addition, the school offers a 50% subsidy for short term disability insurance (optional), retirement contribution from 5%, professional development allowance of $3,500 per year, resigning bonus of $5,000 per yearly contract renewal after completion of initial three year contract, flights home annually for director and family, relocation allowance, comfortable furnished housing subject to family size, allowance for utilities, personal leave of 3 days per year, recruitment leave of 3 days when completing tenure at LCS and maternity leave of 12 weeks. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Applications for the position will be handled directly by the school. Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and the requested materials listed below as early as possible as the Head of School reserves the right to close the selection process at any time if the right candidate is found.
Candidates should send the information listed below attached to an email to Louisa Mensah-Baah , HR
Director at:- [email protected]
. Closing Date:
30 September, 2015
• A letter of application, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the Director of Educational Programs position at LCS.
• A statement describing your management and educational philosophy, not to exceed two pages.
• A current résumé not to exceed two pages.
• A one-page list of references with current addresses, phone numbers and email addresses.
• A maximum of three letters of reference that may already be in your possession.