Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the following position at the Ghana-India Kofi Annan Centre of Excellence in ICT (AITI-KACE), to support the expansion of the Centre. Applicants should have strong skills in communication and computing, and must also be team players. Women candidates are especially encouraged to apply. (http://www.aiti-kace.com.gh/?q=node/155
) Job Title:
Director of Research Department:
Research Reports directly to:
Director-General Directly supervises:
• Research Associates
• Knowledge Management Officer
• Test Centre Administrator
• Library Assistant
• National Service Personnel 1.0 Job Purpose
The role of the Director of Research (DoR) is primarily to develop research proposals and raise funds to implement the AITI-KACE research agenda, strategy and programmes/projects; working in collaboration with the Centre’s research team. 2.0 Performance Measures
Performance would be assessed in relation to achievement of Key
Result Areas, key tasks and competencies. 3.0 Key Result Areas 3.1 Research Capacity, Agenda and Strategy
Working in collaboration with the research team and co-opting faculty and lead persons of collaborating institutions, implement a research agenda, strategy and programmes for the Center. Key Tasks
• Develops research proposals, and supporting proposals to solicit research grants to implement the AITI-KACE research agenda;
• Identifies and establishes research collaboration relationship with industry and appropriate local and international research institutions and organizations;
• Works in partnership with the industry partners (private sector) and collaborating institutions, undertakes a range of research capacity building training and programs to increase the capacity of the AITI-KACE research team to undertake cutting edge research that would contribute effectively to national development goals;
• Taking cognisance of national development goals, identifies current state of research and gaps for the purpose of mapping out a research agenda and strategy for the Center;
• Performs any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
3.2 Dissemination of Research Findings/Policy Awareness
To develop an effective communication strategy for the dissemination of research findings. Key Tasks
• Posts research findings on AITI-KACE website
• Writes research papers
• Gives presentations at conferences and workshops
• Assists in the organization of seminars/workshops/conferences
• Identifies related policy and national development issues.
• Be able to discuss research findings taking cognisance of national policy issues and national development goals. 3.3 Research Support
Provides research assistance to faculty and collaborators. Key Tasks
• Develops proposals to solicit research grants to support research at the Center.
• Develops structural capital to guide research at the Center, focusing on documentation of principles and procedures.
• Tutors and mentors new faculty on principles of research such as:
• What constitutes research;
• How to initiate research;
• Research ethics and conduct;
• Scientific Writing and Publication.
• Helps faculty identify appropriate research tools for carrying out analysis of their research data.
• Helps in carrying out qualitative and quantitative analysis using various software tools and packages.
• Provides input into research project design and problem solving process.
• Works as part of a team to complete research tasks. 4.0 Supervisory Responsibilities
• Assigns duties to and monitors activities of team members to ensure achievement of performance standards.
• Identifies the training needs of immediate team members and organizes or recommends appropriate training for them.
• Assesses the performance of team members and reviews assessments for lower level employees.
• Administers discipline affecting immediate team members in accordance with the Centre’s disciplinary code and procedure. 5.0 Working Relationships 5.1 Departmental Relations
• Maintains consultative and advisory relations with all departments on research issues.
• External Relations
• Maintains regular contacts with the research arms of collaborating institutions. Qualification Required & Experience
6.0 COMPETENCIES 6.1 Educational Qualification
• Minimum M Phil in Computer Science, Information Technology or allied Disciplines,
• 8-10 years working experience in a research environment 6.2 Technical
• Ability to oversee and direct computing, information and telecommunication research, documentation and publication of research findings.
• Ability to review and analyze proposals submitted to determine if benefits derived and possible applications justify expenditures.
• Ability to evaluate feasibility of proposals submitted to management for consideration and allocation of funds.
• Ability to develop bankable research proposals.
• Project Management expertise for planning, preparation and monitoring of projects, such as preparation of records of expenditures and research findings, progress reports, and staff conferences, in order to inform management of current status of each project. 6.3 Managerial
• Planning and Organizing: Ability to establish objectives and targets; Ability to design realistic plans using strategic goals.
• Strategic thinking: Ability to explore and understand trends, opportunities and risks that could affect services, programmes and functional areas or jobs.
• Controlling: Ability to routinely monitor departmental costs and control budget. 6.4 Personality
• The DoR should be able to communicate and work well with faculty and other related staff and contribute to a relaxed and vibrant research environment and work- culture.
• The job holder should have excellent interpersonal skills, and be able to prioritize his/her workload and show initiative. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job FOR MORE DETAILS ON HOW TO APPLY, VISIT OUR WEBSITE: http://www.aiti-kace.com.gh/?q=node/155 Closing Date:
29 January 2013
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE INVITED FOR INTERVIEW