Over the past decade or so Ghana has embarked on an agenda to develop its fertilizer sector. Different initiatives have sought to improve fertilizer consumption and use through several subsidy programs for farmers and the formulation of a fertilizer policy to guide fertilizer production, marketing and quality control. The realization of a need to harmonize all these efforts has led to the formation of a Team tasked to develop a Fertilizer Expansion Program for the country. Furthermore, balanced fertilizers are essential for sustainable agricultural intensification in Ghana. Widespread adoption of appropriate fertilizers requires a transformation of the fertilizer and food systems that must be driven by evidence-based agro-technical perspectives embedded in multi-stakeholder processes to create enabling conditions for adoption, which is the aim of the public-private program Fertilizer Research and Responsible Implementation (FERARI) https://ifdc.org/ferari/.
IFDC leads this 5-year program, carrying out the implementation component and co-supervising the researchers in the program. This program will focus on developing the fertilizer industrial sector, developing and optimizing the value chain and creating demand for fertilizers.
Clearly, the economic viability of any intervention in the fertilizer value chain should be secured for the responsible implementation of innovative fertilizer solutions. Financial benefits should resonate to farmers to adopt new products, while agro-dealers and other actors in the fertilizer value chain should earn a living from it as well. These and other complex economic dynamics in the sector should be understood and utilized to help develop the sector.
Scope of Work
• Our project needs a reliable Economist/Socio-economist to join our team. We’re looking for a college graduate with journey-level skills and a desire to expand his or her skill set and experience.
• The ideal candidate will be able to function effectively with limited oversight and guide required economic analyses.
• The candidate will conduct research, prepare reports, and formulate plans to aid in solution of economic problems in the fertilizer value chain.
• He/she may collect and process economic and statistical data using econometric and sampling techniques. Our team includes some of the brightest minds in the academia and we hope to add you to our roster.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Doctorate degree or Master of Science degree with specialization in economics, rural economy, socio-economy or agro-economy
• At least 5 years’ experience in similar position
• Experience in Agricultural Research for Development is an advantage
• A proven publication record on relevant topics
• Ability to plan and conduct socio economic studies for development
• Competence in statistical analysis and data collection
• Good skill in report-writing and presentation of research results
• Proven knowledge in mobilizing communities and professional organization
• Supervisory skills
• Time-management skills
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team
Timing, Duration and Place of Work:
The duration of this position is 12 months (starting immediately) and possibility of extension.
How To Apply For The Job
To submit your application, click on the link below and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Click Here To Apply Online
13 March, 2020