Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a U.S. non-profit organization dedicated to creating, evaluating, and replicating innovative solutions to poverty and policy problems worldwide. IPA specializes in using randomized impact evaluation to assess the effectiveness of development programs. Job Summary About NAP
The National Apprenticeship Program (NAP) is being implemented by the Council for Technical and Vocational Education and Training (COTVET) to promote youth skills acquisition and employment. NAP is primarily targeted at young people who left school before reaching SHS. It matches young people with a Master Trainer in 1 of 6 vocations (garments, cosmetology, ICT, blocklaying/masonry, welding and carpentry), pays their apprenticeship fee, and gives them some tools and materials to begin their training.
The program aims to endow young people with skills that they would otherwise not have been able to acquire, increasing their future opportunities in the labor market and improving their quality of life. As part of the evaluation of the National Apprenticeship Program, a baseline survey has already been conducted with the apprentices, and one for the Master Trainers is about to commence. The main aims of the survey are:
• To provide a baseline that will enable the COTVET and IPA to evaluate the impact of NAP.
• To explore the factors which influence the performance of apprentices based on the trainers that they are matched with.
IPA is seeking applications from qualified and committed applicants to work as SURVEYORS in its upcoming Master Trainer survey. Employment will be short-term and paid at a daily rate. All short-term staff will receive reimbursements for food, transportation, and accommodation costs incurred during the surveying period. Applicants must be available in April and May 2013. Job Description
Editors will work in 2 or more Regions, and in each Region will work in 2-5 Districts. Data collection teams will comprise a Team Leader, an Editor, and 7-10 Surveyors.
• Check every survey that has been completed by the surveyors to ensure that all sections have been completed accurately and that the information is captured in a clear, coherent, legible manner;
• Resolve mistakes, omissions, poor handwriting, inconsistencies and incoherencies in the survey data, following up with surveyors where necessary;
• Assist the Team Leader to track survey respondents and completed surveys for submission to the data entry team. Qualification Required & Experience Person Specification:
• Educated to HND, Bachelor’s or Master’s level;
• Previous experience in conducting field interviews and/or editing surveys;
• Willing to spend significant amounts of time in the field and travelling between Regions and Districts;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Quick learner, flexible, self-motivated, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, team player;
• Good organizational skills;
• Ability to remain focused and attentive to detail for several hours;
• Polite, friendly, and respectful to respondents and colleagues;
• Fluency in any of the following combinations of languages
1) English and Ga
2) English and Twi
3) English and Fanti
4) English and Ewe
5) English, Ga and Twi
6) English, Fanti and Twi
7) English, Ewe and Twi
• Able to commit to a minimum of 2 months. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Applicants must email their CV and cover letter to [email protected]
copying [email protected]
• In the body of the email, the following information must be provided:
1) Regional location of applicant
2) Languages spoken fluently by applicant
3) Highest level of education
• The CV should include a contact phone number.
• The cover letter should be no longer than 1 page and highlight how you meet the requirements in the person specification outlined above.
• Applicants who do not submit a cover letters will not be shortlisted.
• The subject line for all emailed applications must read: NAP – MCP Survey. All documents should be attached to this email and saved using the following format:
• The documents may be submitted in MS Word or PDF format.
• Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interviews. Closing Date:
01 April 2013
• Successful completion of this assignment will lead to inclusion in IPA’s Surveyor’s Database, potentially leading to other surveying projects in the future.
• IPA is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of Ghanaian society.
• Women are particularly encouraged to apply.