Ministry of Local Government And Rural Development
Research / Science
Job Vacancy For Environmental And Social Safeguards Officer At Ministry of Local Government And Rural Development
• The Government of Ghana (GoG) through the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development (MLGRD) has received a credit facility from the International Development Association (IDA) towards the cost of the Local Government Capacity Support project (LGCSP).
• The primary objective of the LGCSP is to build the capacity of forty-six (46) participating Metropolitan/Municipal Assemblies (MMAs) to deliver services by; (i) enhancing the intergovernmental fiscal framework, (ii) improving municipal management capabilities, and (iii) strengthening local public financial management and accountability for improved infrastructure; and improving citizen's engagement with urban assemblies and their perceptions of urban management.
• The project has 4 main components, namely: Component 1: Strengthening the fiscal framework for Decentralization; Component 2: Enhancing Decentralized urban service delivery; Component 3: Stimulating Demand for Accountable local governance and service delivery; and Component 4: Institutional and Project Management Support.
• Part of the credit facility under Sub-component 2A-Urban Development Grant (UDG) will be used by the 46No Metropolitan/Municipal Assemblies I (MMAs) forthe delivery of infrastructure and services. The implementation of activities under the UDG has the potential to trigger two of the World Bank safeguards policies: the Environmental Assessment Policy OP 4.01 and the Involuntary Resettlement Policy OP 4.12.
• Based on the above-mentioned safeguards policies, the MLGRD has developed an Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMP) and a Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF) to guide the participating 46MMAs with the management of the environmental and social issues that may arise during the sub-projects implementation activities
• The MLGRD therefore seeks to recruit a full-time Environmental and Social Safeguards Officer to be part of the LGCSP management team located in Accra.
Objective Of The Services:
The main objective of the assignment is to provide technical support to the MLGRD and the 46 participating Metropolitan and Municipal Assemblies (MMA's) on environmental and social safeguards for implementation of sub-projects under Sub-component 2A - Urban Development Grant (UDG) of the LGCSP.
Scope Of Services:
The services shall among other things include the following;
• Review Environmental and social impact analysis(SEIA) reports and Environmental Management Plans (EMPs) from consultants /MMAs in collaboration with EPA and MLGRD;
• Ensure that all Safeguards reports like Abbreviated Resettlement Action Plans and (ARAPs/RAPs) , ESIAs, EMPs are reviewed and cleared by appropriate institutions like the World Bank and EPA;
• Facilitate the disclosure of ESIAs/EMPs and RAPs in -country; I
• Be responsible for facilitating training of project staffs in World Bank /GOG environmental and resettlement Policies as they relate to the project;
• Work with Metropolitan/Municipal Planning Coordination Unit (MPCU) and Developmental Planning Subcommittees of the assemblies to ensure that environmental and social screening are carried out in a timely manner and follow up actions undertaken by the MMAs;
• Ensure that environmental and social safeguards issues are incorporated into standard bidding documents and specification
• documents for major sub-projects types as necessary and that
• MMAs are using these documents appropriately;
• Work out coordination arrangements with MPCUs for monitoring of the contractors and work;
• Compile and prepare consolidated bi-annual environmental and social impacts monitoring reports covering all sub projects activities in the participating MMAs for submission to the World Bank;
• Monitor compliance with ESMF requirements by taking periodic audits of all sub- project files to ensure that all ESMF required documentation is available and up to date;
• Put in place arrangements for monitoring the social impacts of the project on local residents and lead discussions between the contractors and MPCUs on project related issues as and when they emerge;
• Conduct periodic field visits to the sub-project sites as required;
• Monitor the progress in the implementation of environmental and social management plans;
• Prepare reports on ESMF and social inclusion related issues as required;
• Conduct sub-project inspections, monitor and give technical advice to MMAs and;
• Perform any other social and environmental safeguards duty assigned by the Project Director.
Duration Of Services:
The services of the consultant will initially be required for a period of one (1) year and upon satisfactory performance, extended annually up to the end of the project period.
Qualification Required & Experience
The consultant must have the following minimum qualification and competencies: .,
• Master's degree in Environmental Management, Social Sciences or related field;
• Five (5) years of post-qualification practical experience in environmentally sustainable development, social protection or social development;
• Knowledge in World Bank safeguard policies and conversant with Ghana's EPA's regulations and procedures;
• Knowledge in Ghana's decentralization system and proven ability in working with the Urban Assemblies and local communities
How To Apply For The Job
Expression Of Interest:
• The Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested consultants must provide detailed curriculum vitae to demonstrate that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the services.
• The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank's Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants [under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grents] by World Bank Borrowers [January 2011, revised July 2014J, setting forth the World Bank's policy on conflict of interest.
• A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant Selection Method method set out in the Consultant Guidelines and further information can be obtained at the address below during normal office hours (0800 to 1700 hours GMT).
• The Expression of Interest must be sealed and addressed to the Chief:
Ministry of Local Government & Rural Development,
P . O. Box MSO,
and delivered either in person or by mail to the Project Director, Room 33 (lot Floor) before 1700 hours GMT on.
Closing Date: 20 October, 2015