) is on a mission to bring digital books to every child and her family, so that they can improve their lives through the power of technology. Globally, we are working in 39 countries, in 102 schools and libraries and are reaching a total of 35,000 people on our programs using e-readers, and over 300,000 people using our mobile reading app.
To accomplish our goals, Worldreader has created a worldwide logistics system, to provide literacy training and support, co-publish books with African and US publishers, measure our results obsessively, report on our progress, and raise money and awareness for our mission. We have a worldwide team of 50+ staff and volunteers across seven countries and three continents who have graduated from the world’s best schools, companies, and non-profits and have accomplished the nearly impossible.
An ethos of working hard, having fun and making history inspires our culture, and the team shares a passion for reading and philanthropy.
We aspire to reach millions of children and families worldwide, in our quest to eradicate illiteracy. We believe that by hiring people larger than we are, we will end up with an organization of Giants. And that’s why we’re looking for a world-class Senior Human Resources Manager dedicated to developing and supporting our team and building our HR infrastructure worldwide.
• This part-time Event Organizer position will be responsible for the planning, implementation and execution of the 3rd Annual Worldreader Digital Reading Summits in Accra, Ghana and Nairobi, Kenya that will take place in April 2016. The main goal of these two-day conferences is to increase awareness for digital reading programs and digital publishing in Africa and advocate for its further adoption across East and West African countries.
• Reporting to the Country Directors of Ghana and Kenya, the event manager will be responsible for the everyday project management and event planning of the Summits. The role of this event organizer is hands-on and will involve working as part of the local African team and the global communications team. The event organizer must be able to complete a wide range of activities requiring clear communication, excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. The organizer also must work well under pressure, ensuring the smooth and efficient running of the Summits.
The Event Organizer will be responsible for :
• Development, production and delivery of the Worldreader Digital Reading Summits (in Accra and Nairobi) from proposal to delivery
Planning and Management tasks include:
• Managing a Budget
• Identifying and securing speakers or special guests
• Liaising with the Comms department to create a brand for the event and organizing the production of posters, catalogues and sales brochures, plus social media coverage
• Liaising with attendees, sponsors and to ascertain their precise event requirement
• Developing a media plan and press packets and manage the media during the event
• Developing sponsorship plans and selling sponsorship/stand/exhibition space to potential exhibitors/partners
• Preparing delegate packs and papers
• Liaising with marketing and PR colleagues to promote the event
• Organizing post-event evaluation (including data entry and analysis and producing reports for event stakeholders)
Logistical and Administrative tasks include:
• Securing and booking a suitable venue or location
• Ensuring insurance, legal, health and safety obligations are adhered to
• Coordinating venue management, caterers, stand designers, contractors and equipment hire
• Organizing facilities for car parking, traffic control, security, first aid, hospitality and the media
• Planning room layouts and the entertainment program, scheduling workshops and demonstrations
• Coordinating staffing requirements and staff briefings
• Managing hotel and ground transportation logistics for teachers/Project Managers
• Coordinating suppliers, handling client queries and troubleshooting on the day of the event to ensure that all runs smoothly
• Overseeing the dismantling and removal of the event and clearing the venue efficiently
• Accra, Ghana, with 30%-40% travel to Nairobi, Kenya. Valid passport required.
Starting Date :
• Immediate. Preferred starting time mid-January (summits will be held in April) until June. Possibility to extend the contract.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Bachelor Degree with a minimum of three years of experience in corporate / conference event management
• Budgeting and financial acumen
• Negotiation skills and vendor management
• Detail oriented
• Ability to work cross-organizationally, with teams across different time zones
• Proficient in Word, Excel and productivity tools such as Skype, Zoom, Quip
• Excellent organizational skills, project management and administrative skills
• Leadership skills
• Willingness to roll-up your sleeves and put in the time needed to get the job done
How To Apply For The Job
Email your cover letter, and resume to:-
the subject “Event organizer” PDFs only and no phone calls, please.
29 January, 2016