Under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative (ADG/RR) in the FAO Regional Office for Africa (RAF) manages the overall office support activities of the Assistant Director General’s office by providing administrative and secretarial support; ensuring the smooth running of the office and its flow and management of information; with wide latitude for independent action and often handling complex and sensitive matters; and with direct contacts with staff at all levels in the Organization and with high-ranking officials, both within and outside the Organization. In particular, the incumbent will:
• organize and facilitate the administrative work of the office including establishing internal procedures and tracking systems for correspondence and documents; verify that the work is done in accordance with corporate standards and within established deadlines; monitor work of ‘subordinate staff the incumbent directly supervises;
• coordinate and distribute incoming correspondence, information, documentation from and to the ADG/RR’s office and the Regional office; select and abstract pertinent material for supervisor’s review; identify complex or sensitive material for special treatment; review outgoing correspondence and documentation for correct format, grammar, spelling and conformance with FAO and country policies and procedures;
• screen and place calls; respond to telephone, e-mail and enquiries, often of a difficult nature; resolve non-recurring matters and difficult issues on own initiative or while referring to respective units;
• manage the ADG/RR’s calendar and schedule of appointments and meetings; brief the supervisor’s on matters before meetings and missions; draft and format reports, presentations, publications, and other documentation material for the ADG/RR;
• update the office’s management information system including spreadsheets, files, databases; provide Registry with master files containing key documents; undertake complex research from various sources; select relevant information and prepare briefs and summary notes in concise format for meetings, interviews and conferences;
• maintain records on administrative and office support policies, procedures and practices and provide information and guidance as to their use to staff;
• brief and train support staff regarding all aspects of the job, ensuring adherence to procedures, guidelines and work requirements and ensuring accuracy of the work provided. Co-ordinate the secretarial services in the unit, distribute special assignments to other staff and clear correspondence for supervisor’s signature; supervise the organization of high level meetings and events, including logistical arrangements, finalization of the agenda, preparation of related correspondence, production and distribution of documents, and follow up on required actions;
• prepare minutes and notes for internal and/or official meetings;
• perform other related duties as required. Qualification Required & Experience QUALIFICATIONS – ESSENTIAL
Applications are normally not considered from candidates who do not possess ALL of the Essential Qualifications
Secondary school education. Secretarial training. Training in office management and/or general administration. Experience: Six years of secretarial, with at least 2 years working for a senior manager. .
Working knowledge (level C) of English and French.
: Computer literacy and ability to effectively use standard office software tools (MS Office … ) as well as corporate computerized financial/personnel/travel systems. Ability to organize own work and coordinate and distribute the office support work of the immediate office of the ADG/RAF. Ability to train and guide staff. Ability to draft correspondence clearly concisely and to carry out delegated functions and instructions effectively and with a minimum of explanation. Ability to analyze situations accurately and take effective action. ln-depth knowledge of the structure and procedures of the Organization, including knowledge of the location of organizational units and key personnel. Ability to work efficiently Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Applications should be submitted to: The Human Resources Officer Administrative Support Unit FAO Regional Office for Africa P.O. Box GP 1628 Accra Closing Date:
23 August, 2013
• Staff members: Complete form ADM 75
• Other candidates: Complete FAO Personal History Form available on www.fao.org
(type "Vacancies" and click search, then click "current vacancies" to select Personal History Form.
• Please note that only applications of short-listed candidates will be acknowledged.