Type of Contract:
Full-time, fixed-term Start Date: April 2016 Location:
Ashaiman, Ghana Salary and Conditions: Competitive Reporting to:
Project Manager BACKGROUND
Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) is an ECOSOC-accredited NGO at the forefront of youth development policy, practice and research in Ghana. At YES-Ghana, our mission is to help young people succeed in becoming life-long learners, productive members of society, materially sufficient and self-respecting citizens. YES-Ghana is an implementing partner for a new youth initiative which aims to achieve increased employment and entrepreneurship amongst disadvantaged youth in Ghana. YESGhana will lead on the mobilisation, screening and recruitment of youth participants to the programme. JOB FUNCTION
The Field Officer will promote the project to young people in the target group in order to
recruit participants for training programmes on technical skills, entrepreneurship, life skills
and financial literacy. They will be the first point of contact for all youth in Ashaiman who are
interested in the project, and will be responsible for screening and interviewing applicants
wishing to join the programme. The Field Officer will also be entering and maintaining
records of all participants using a Participant Management Database. JOB DESCRIPTION The duties and responsibilities of the Field Officer are as follows:
• Promote and raise awareness about the project to youths in local communities, by undertaking community outreach and mobilisation activities to recruit participants to the training programme
• Ensure that recruitment of participants is gender-sensitive, and that a significant proportion of youth recruited to the programme are women.
• Act as the first point of contact to all youths expressing interest in the programme
• Screen and interview applicants to assess whether they are eligible for the programme.
• Collect baseline data from participants using an online survey.
• Maintain accurate records of participant details using both paper records and data entry into the Participant Management Database.
• Liaise with partner organisations to refer participants to their services.
• Build relationships with community leaders and other stakeholders who could assist with mobilisation of youths.
• Answer and make phone calls to prospective and existing participants.
• Manage a small team of volunteer field assistants.
• Report to Project Manager on achievements of targets as well as any issues on the field.
• Perform other duties as may be necessary. KEY REQUIREMENTS PLEASE NOTE:
Preference will be given to those candidates who live in Ashaiman and its environs, and who have a good knowledge of local communities in the area. Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply. Qualification Required & Experience
YES-Ghana invites applications from candidates able to demonstrate the following experience, skills and values: Experience
• Experience in undertaking community work and/or youth-focussed activities, gained either through professional employment or volunteering (for example with a youth group, school, church group or local community centre).
• Experience in mobilising young people highly desired.
• Field research experience desirable, including conducting surveys and interviews.
• Some experience in maintaining accurate project records, data entry or updating electronic databases would be a plus. Skills and personal attributes
• Strong communication, interpersonal and people management skills.
• Skilled in building rapport with youth participants including ability to motivate others, as well as patience and empathy for marginalised youth from disadvantaged communities.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with staff, partner organisations, community leaders and other stakeholders, as well as project participants.
• Self-motivated, ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision.
• Resourceful and able to deal with new or difficult situations, with good decision-making skills and sound judgement in resolving issues and problems.
• Good organisation and time management skills, confident managing multiple tasks at a time.
• Numerate and IT literate, with ability to use a complex Participant Management Database.
• Excellent attention to detail, high degree of accuracy and good information management skills.
• Fluency in English, plus two of the following languages: Twi, Ewe or Ga.
• Extensive knowledge of the local operating environment and familiarity with a variety of local communities within Ashaiman.
• Willing to travel to different communities within Ashaiman.
• A flexible approach to work – work at evenings and weekends may be required. Values
• Demonstrated passion for working with youth.
• Interest in youth development in Ghana, especially mobilisation of marginalised youth in disadvantaged communities.
• Commitment to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
• Ability to work to high ethical standards and to uphold YES-Ghana’s guiding values and principles. Location:
Ashaiman How To Apply For The Job
To apply, please send a current CV and cover letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) clearly outlining your motivation for applying and how you meet each of the requirements listed for this role to: [email protected]
Please use: FIELD OFFICER-ASHAIMAN
as the subject line of your email. Closing Date:
14 February, 2016