Type of Contract:
Full-time, fixed-term Start Date:
August 2015 Location:
Accra, Ghana Salary and Conditions:
Competitive Reporting to:
Project Manager BACKGROUND
Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) is an ECOSOC-accredited NGO at the forefront of youth development policy, practice and research in Ghana. At YES-Ghana, our mission is to help young people succeed in becoming life-long learners, productive members of society, materially sufficient and self-respecting citizens.
YES-Ghana is an implementing partner for a new youth initiative which aims to achieve
increased employment and entrepreneurship amongst disadvantaged youth in Ghana. YES-Ghana will lead on the mobilisation, screening and recruitment of youth participants to the programme. JOB FUNCTION
The Field Officer will promote the project to young people in the target group in order to recruit participants for a training programme on entrepreneurship, life skills and financial literacy. They will be the first point of contact for all youth in Accra who are interested in the project, and will be responsible for screening and interviewing applicants wishing to join the programme. The Field Officer will also be maintaining records of all participants using a Participant Management Database. JOB DESCRIPTION
The duties and responsibilities of the Field Officer are as follows:
• Promote and raise awareness about the project to youths in target group, by undertaking community outreach activities and organising events to recruit participants to the training programme.
• Ensure that recruitment of participants is gender-sensitive, and that a significant proportion of youth recruited to the programme are women.
• Act as the first point of contact to all youths expressing interest in the programme
• Screen and interview applicants to assess their eligibility.
• Collect baseline data from participants though surveys and interviews.
• Maintain accurate records of participant details using both paper records and data entry into the Participant Management Database.
• Liaise with partner organisations to refer participants to their services.
• Build relationships with stakeholders who could refer participants to the programme.
• Manage a small team of volunteer field assistants.
• Report to Project Manager on achievements of targets and any concerns arising
• Perform other duties as may be necessary. KEY REQUIREMENTS PLEASE NOTE:
Only candidates who are permanent residents in Accra are eligible to apply.
Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
YES-Ghana invites applications from candidates able to demonstrate the following experience, skills and values: Qualification Required & Experience
• Experience in undertaking community work and/or youth-focussed activities, gained either through professional employment or volunteering (for example with a youth group, school, church group or local community centre).
• Experience in mobilising young people highly desired.
• Field research experience desirable, including conducting surveys and interviews.
• Some experience in maintaining accurate project records, data entry or updating electronic databases would be a plus. Skills and personal attributes
• Strong communication, interpersonal and people management skills.
• Skilled in building rapport with youth participants including ability to motivate others, as well as patience and empathy for marginalised youth from disadvantaged communities.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with staff, project participants and partners, as well as other stakeholders.
• Self-motivated, ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision.
• Resourceful and able to deal with new or difficult situations, with good decision-making skills and sound judgement in resolving issues and problems.
• Good organisation and time management skills, confident managing multiple tasks at a time.
• Numerate and IT literate, with ability to use a complex Participant Management Database.
• Excellent attention to detail, high degree of accuracy and good information management skills.
• Fluency in English, Twi and Ga.
• Extensive knowledge of the local operating environment and familiarity with a variety of local communities within Accra.
• Willing to travel to different communities within Accra.
• A flexible approach to work – work at evenings and weekends may be required. Values
• Passion for working with youth.
• Commitment to youth development in Ghana, especially mobilisation of marginalised youth in disadvantaged communities.
• Commitment to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
• Ability to work to high ethical standards and to uphold YES-Ghana’s guiding values and principles. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
To apply, please send a current CV and cover letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) clearly outlining your motivation for applying and how you meet each of the requirements listed for this role to: [email protected]
Please use: FIELD OFFICER-ACCRA
as the subject line of your email. Closing Date:
26 July, 2015