The West Africa Centre for Crop Improvement (WACCI), University of Ghana, Legon is one of the World Bank Africa Centres of Excellence (ACE) for higher education and research. Under a new ACE Impact Development project (2019-2023), WACCI is transforming into an agricultural innovation and entrepreneurship institution.
The Centre hereby invites applications from ambitious and highly motivated finance officers with proven technical experience in accounting and financial management to fill a vacancy at the Centre from September 1, 2021. JOB DESCRIPTION: The Finance Officer shall, under the Director be responsible for the financial transactions of the Centre and to;
• Maintain and update the financial systems and controls, verifying and checking the financial records, reports, ledgers and statements
• Support with the preparation of audit files during audits, liaise with staff and auditors during the process and help prepare supporting documentation and the production of audited annual accounts
• Work in close collaboration with the Logistics Directorate to prepare and implement annual procurement plans
• Process invoices for partners and other income sources, thereby ensuring that all monies are received and banked accordingly.
• Ensure the Centre complies with the Public Financial Management Act 2016 (Act 921), the PFM regulations, 2019 (LI 2378) as well as the statutes and financial regulations of the University of Ghana
• Manage the fixed asset register in collaboration with the procurement team, thereby ensuring that this is fully updated
• Assist project investigators during proposal budget preparation and to also help with setting up of budgets within the Centre finance systems
• Promote WACCI’s core values and mission and play a positive role in the delivery of its day-to-day operations and strategic goals
• Discharge any other assignments from the Director Qualification Required & Experience Essential criteria for selection
• A relevant accounting qualification, a degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or professional accounting qualification (CIMA/ICA/ACCA or equivalent)
• A minimum of 3 years experience working within a similar organization preparing management accounts using computerised software packages
• Excellent financial software knowledge such as SAGE pastel, QuickBook, etc.
• Excellent financial report-writing skills and the ability to communicate financial information easier to be understood and in a clear format
• Proven experience in preparing and monitoring budgets and financial reports
• Strong organisational skills with proven ability to work effectively within a team, assess priorities and manage workload with minimum supervision
• Proven experience with good written and oral communication skills in English
• Experience in managing grants from international Donors such as DFID, WB, USAID etc.
• Self-motivation and effective time management skills
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills Desirable criteria for selection
• Experience of working within the Tertiary or Development Sector e.g., Universities, Non-Governmental Organisations
• Experience of working within a Research Institution/Organisation. TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
• To be determined by the Management Team of the ACE Impact Development Project
• A two-year contract in the first instance. Renewal for a second term of two years will be dependent on satisfactory performance. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
E-mail applications to the Director, [email protected]
copied to the Team Lead Administration, [email protected]
with the following:
• Detailed supporting statement/letter – Whereby each section should set out how your qualifications, experience and skills meet each of the essential and desirable criteria within the person specification. Please, provide one or more paragraphs addressing each criterion. The supporting statement is an essential part of the selection process and thus a failure to provide this information will mean that the application will not be considered. An answer to any of the criteria such as “Please see attached CV” will not be considered acceptable.
• Please include your mobile telephone number and e-mail contact details.
• Curriculum vitae (CV) including names and addresses of three referees (one must be from your current employer or training institution). Closing Date:
30 July, 2021
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be held in the second week of August at the West Africa Centre for Crop Improvement (WACCI).