Plan International Ghana is looking for a Gender and Influencing Specialist to effectively work with a team of professionals and deliver high quality programming and results for a project titled “Women’s Innovation for Sustainable Enterprises (WISE)”. The WISE Project seeks to leverage the enormous potential and agency of Ghanaian women entrepreneurs aged 19 to 55 years in rural and peri-urban areas by employing both demand- and supply-side interventions to contribute to increased realization of rights to economic empowerment, well-being and inclusive economic growth in 3 districts in the Bono and Ahafo regions (Sunyani Municipal, Tano North and Techiman Municipal) and 2 districts in the Northern Region (Kumbungu and Tolon). The project will start in February 2020, has a duration of 4 years, and a budget of over 5.5 million EUR. Dimension of Role:
• The Gender & Influencing Specialist will be responsible for leading the project’s gender equality strategy supporting women as meaningful economic actors and building a supportive environment for women entrepreneurs at the family, community, institutional and market levels for their economic empowerment.
• As an integral member of the project team, she / he will ensure that a gender transformative approach is integrated in both demand and supply-side interventions to contribute to the ultimate outcome of increased realization of rights to economic empowerment, well-being and inclusive economic growth for women.
• The post-holder will be based in Tamale but travel to project districts where the WISE project operates for approximately 60% of her/his time. Typical Responsibilities:
• Gender Transformative Analysis and Programming: Lead the delivery of robust gender equality assessments to further define and validate the project’s strategy to deliver gender transformative programming and results.
• A strong understanding of project cycle management and women’s economic empowerment are essential to provide relevant technical guidance.
• Lead and coordinate the project’s gender equality strategy which combines high quality programmes and bold, credible influencing to catalyse large-scale transformative change for women in the project locations.
• Lead the implementation of WISE project gender equality strategy which aims to ensure Plan staff and key partners have the tools, skills and capacities to fulfil core WISE gender standards relevant to the needs of the beneficiaries and operating context.
• This includes providing training, mentorship and ongoing capacity development for staff and partners.
Coordinate a gender-integrated market assessment of women-friendly entrepreneurial, value chains and emerging “green businesses / sectors” in the five target districts.
• Provide technical guidance on the community and policy side interventions which aim to support women to develop their entrepreneurial roles and expand perceptions and attitudes of male family members and community leaders around the productive capacities of women.
• Provide technical guidance on service and institutional side interventions, aiming to facilitate a suite of gender-responsive business services and products through women-friendly business hubs (HerHubs), which will serve as a ‘one-stop shop’ for women to access gender-responsive services to start and grow small enterprises.
• Coordinate gender-responsiveness audit for HerHubs and train staff and stakeholders on gender equality, gender-responsive service delivery, protection and women’s economic empowerment.
• Contribute to regular project narrative reports and communication materials in a timely manner, ensuring that implementation of gender transformative programming is clearly articulated and supported with high quality data, results and lessons.
• Project cycle management processes and tools (including detailed implementation plans) effectively implemented to achieve project results and comply with donor requirements, government, and partnership agreements.
• Work with program staff and technical advisors to identify the technical support needs of the project and ensure this support is provided.
• Performs any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
• Social Behaviour Communication Change and Public Mobilisation: Recognizing the agency and technical expertise of women entrepreneurs, lead the development and technical review of training and capacity building, behaviour change communication, and community outreach activities. Qualification Required & Experience
• A Master’s degree in Gender Studies, Development Studies, Sociology
• Minimum of 5 years solid experience in designing, implementing and monitoring gender transformative programming in the NGO/voluntary sector, particularly in economic development, agriculture support and/or enterprise development
• A proven track record in conducting project-based gender equality analyses, especially those that employ participatory methodologies
• Experience of developing, implementing, and monitoring gender equality strategies
• Experience in influencing and advocacy
• Demonstrable experience in training development and delivery for diverse groups of women, men, community members, partner organizations and project staff.
• Understanding of contemporary Women Economic Empowerment issues in Ghana
• Understanding of the Convention of the Rights of the Child, Convention for the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), the Women’s Protocol and other human rights instruments. Knowledge
• Good knowledge of women rights issues at country level and globally, and instruments
• Good knowledge of children rights, the CRC and other relating right instruments,
• Knowledge and Understanding of the links between gender equality and children rights
• Knowledge of gender analysis programme frameworks and their applications to child rights programming
• Knowledge/understanding of feminism and its application to the project Skills
• Strong training and presentation skills
• Technical and research skills in gender equality with a focus on women’s economic empowerment
• An aptitude for reviewing synthesizing and analyzing information / data and producing high quality reports, communication materials and studies.
• Ability to provide guidance to research and policy development
• Communication Skills (both oral and written skills)
• Ability to build internal and external networks
• Good organisational and project management skills Behaviours
• Promotes innovation and learning
• Communicates effectively and enthusiastically
• Behaves consistently in his/her approach to work and decision-making Location:
Tamale How To Apply For The Job
To submit your application, click on the link below and complete all relevant fields on the online application form. Click Here To Apply Online Closing Date:
28 February, 2020