CARE works in 87 countries around the world to support over 900 poverty-fighting development and emergency projects. Our Mission
To serve individuals and families in the poorest communities in the world Our Vision
We seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live in dignity and security.
CARE International in Ghana is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Governance and Advocacy Specialist to support an anticipated five-year USAID-funded program to accelerate governance improvement and manage conflict in support of enhanced agricultural development in Ghana’s Northern, Upper East, and Upper West regions. It is expected to be a cooperative agreement of about $12 million USD to be awarded by November 2015. Job Summary
The Governance and Advocacy Specialist will promote good governance practices that will promote equitable and sustainable food and nutrition security and prevent and/or mitigate conflict with regards to same. The position will be based in Tamale. Key Responsibilities
• Provide technical lead in the implementation of conflict management and citizen participation programs and monitoring of service delivery work.
• Identify and work with relevant farmer-based organizations, community groups, district assemblies and other stakeholders as required within the project scope and strategy
• Support the implementation of capacity building programs and networking of selected partner farmer-based organizations.
• Strengthen partners/CSO/local community groups capacities to anticipate and respond to conflict and crisis, to develop conflict sensitive approaches, to work effectively in conflicting environments and defuse them, and to enrich their development practice with conflict resolution tools, techniques and planning mechanisms.
• Provide technical lead in organizational capacity building and networking for policy advocacy of local farmer-based organizations
• Provide technical lead in the design of policy advocacy activities at national level.
• Provide leadership in organizing and managing exchange visits and documentation of project experience.
• Actively contribute to the project’s monitoring, evaluation, and learning activities. Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum qualification of Master’s degree in political science, international development, sociology, education, or a closely related social science.
• At least Seven or more years of experience in providing support to local government and to civil society advocacy capacity building, three years of which must have been in a managerial capacity
• Track record of collaboration with civil society and other national institutions and in the development of partnerships with local and international civil society and government organizations.
• Experience in programs in conflict prevention/resolution/governance programming
• Proven experience working with local partnerships in complex settings
• Experience in public sector policy reform and advocacy
• At least three years of experience working on agriculture and food security issues.
• Experience with land rights administration
• Previous experience on USAID-funded program/s is preferred.
• In-depth experience and technical understanding of processes of conflict and employment of dispute resolution principles and practices
• Excellent representational and communication skills, written and oral fluency in English.
• Ability to travel throughout project areas, as needed. Location:
Tamale How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates should submit their applications and detailed CVs to the HR Officer, CARE International in Ghana or electronically to:- [email protected] PLEASE INDICATE CLEARLY IN THE SUBJECT LINE THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR
. Closing Date:
07 October, 2015 OUR DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH; WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS AND EXPERIENCES, PARTICULARLY WOMEN, TO APPLY