POSITION: HEAD OF CORPORATE SERVICES SECTION: CORPORATE SERVICES GRADE: C5 POSITION TYPE: 3 YEAR FIXED TERM CONTRACT SALARY: GHS 7,326 PER MONTH Main purpose of job:
This is an exciting and fast-paced job that offers the chance to manage the Corporate Services (CS) of a leading foreign mission in Ghana.
The Head of Corporate Services is responsible for the British High Commission’s (BHC) overall CS strategy and delivery of this. They will lead a large section, and support all UK Government Departments represented in the British High Commission to deliver UK objectives as one team. Within this, they will have specific line-management for business-critical teams.
The Head will oversee the provision of the full range of CS activity in line with best practice and standards, whilst ensuring value for money. They will also continue to innovate and implement change programmes to streamline CS – working closely with the Regional Hubs in London and Pretoria.
The CS Section consists of teams responsible for office and residential estate; security; procurement; finance; human resources; transport; technical maintenance; IT and protocol. Main elements of the job Strategic:
• Plan for future corporate service needs across the BHC, developing and implementing strategies, and adapting the CS section as necessary in order to deliver appropriate services;
• Take strategic budgetary and staffing decisions;
• Identify risks to delivery and make timely recommendations to address them;
• Contribute to the strategic vision of the BHC as part of the senior leadership team;
• Support wider Foreign and Commonwealth Office change programmes by contributing to strategic debates drawing on local experience. Management and Leadership:
• With the support of a deputy, oversee the work of a CS Section of over 90 staff (half of whom are technical/maintenance trades people managed by a Technical Works Supervisor);
• Lead the CS Section, providing direction and advice while maintaining a high level of customer-satisfaction through regular engagement on change and standards;
• Overall management of a large and complex budget run on a day to day basis by a Finance Manager;
• Meet with key contacts (eg legal adviser, security contractor etc) to ensure high quality external services and address shortfalls;
• Represent the CS Section effectively in discussions with other sections of the BHC, including regular meetings with the High Commissioner and Deputy High Commissioner. Customer Focus:
• Monitor quality of services, ensuring monthly KPI reporting and seeking and responding to customer feedback;
• Deal with problems escalated by the Deputy Head of CS;
• Member of the Leadership Committee chaired by the High Commissioner, plus the Housing and Security Committees. Compliance:
• Ensure quality, value for money and compliance with FCO guidance, the UK Government’s rules and annual audit (ACCA) statements (eg health & safety, procurement, counter-fraud, accounting) Resources Managed:
Direct line manager for 3 staff members, countersigning officer for 6 others. Budget £6m approx. Learning and Development Opportunities
• There will be on-the-job training initially on the High Commission’s operating systems, support from the current Head of Corporate Services and a one week CSM course in the UK.
• The High Commission offers excellent online training, available to all staff, which is both job-specific and offers wider development opportunity. We offer a good L&D environment and encourage staff to develop their skills and expertise. Job shadowing etc is actively encouraged. Key competences required
• Managing a quality service
• Leading & communicating
• Making effective decisions
• Seeing the big picture
• Changing & improving
• Collaborating & partnering Language requirements:
Fluent in Spoken and Written English Qualification Required & Experience Other skills / experience / qualifications:
• Qualified (graduate level) professional, ideally at least three years’ direct experience managing corporate services;
• Ability to be security cleared to work in a sensitive environment;
• Experience of financial and budget forecasting and management;
• Excellent team player, displaying strong leadership skills and ability to delegate;
• Sound judgement and prioritising in a fast-paced work environment, delivering to deadlines;
• Strong self-organisation, confident, ability to be flexible and resilient, sense of humour;
• Show exemplary levels of integrity and observe the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s diversity and equality policies;
• Demonstrate an understanding of the welfare needs of expatriate workers in Accra;
• Strong IT skills using Microsoft software and an understanding of Oracle based systems; Salary:
GHS 7,326 Per Month Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job NOTE:
• All applicants must be legally able to work in Ghana with the correct visa/status or work permit.
• The British High Commission in Accra is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
• Staff members recruited locally by the British High Commission in Accra are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Ghanaian employment law.
• Spouses/registered partners of UK Based Staff, are able to work within the BHC/BCG but their salary will be abated at the appropriate tax rates.
• Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
• If you have not heard from us 3 weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Note: Any questions you may have about this position will only be answered during interview, should you be invited.
Given the nature of this role, employment will be subject to obtaining the appropriate security clearance. Please note that nationals of UK, EU countries, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand are more likely to meet this requirement. However any other national capable of being cleared to minimum relatively high level can also apply. To Apply
All applicants should submit a short (1 page maximum) covering letter stating why they are a suitable candidate for the position along with a copy of their CV in English and attached Application form
, by email to: [email protected]
also indicate where you saw the advert on your cover letter.
• Please submit only the requested documents.
• Please also ensure that your email including attachments is no larger than 2 megabytes, otherwise it may be rejected by your email system or the systems through which it will pass en route to us.
• Internal applicants should also submit the above, with a copy of their most recent (last 24 months) appraisals to the same email address.
• All candidates: Please quote in the subject line, of your email, the Vacancy Notice No: 37/15 ACC, and the position you are applying for.
• Internal candidates, and spouses of diplomatic officers: Please quote in the subject line, of your email, the Vacancy Notice No: 37/15 ACC, and the position you are applying for, and also indicate that you are an internal candidate, or spouse of a diplomatic officer. Closing Date:
06 January, 2016