The MRC Unit, The Gambia is the Medical Research Council's largest establishment conducting laboratory, field based and clinical research in a developing country. Job Summary
We are seeking applications from suitably qualified candidates for the post of Head of IT.
• The post-holder will have overall responsibility for the provision of high quality IT/IS services (data and voice) in support of research and administrative functions at the Unit, including all the Upcountry Field Stations.
• They will play a pivotal leadership role in strengthening the quality of IT management across the Unit; improve co-ordination of IT related activities with MRC UK; establish more effective cross over of specialist expertise and drive improvements in operational efficiency. The appointment is for 2 years and is subject to a probationary period of six months.
• An attractive salary will be paid
• For displaced staff the package will include rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, contribution to school fees and shipment of personal effects Qualification Required & Experience We seek someone with: Essential:
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent professional certification in IT (MCSE, CCNA) and a demonstrable record in post graduate training and development
• Three to five years experience managing staff in an IT related environment achieving high levels of performance
• Capable of presenting a strong business case for future IT investment
• Experience establishing ongoing performance monitoring to ensure effective running of the IT department
• Innovative approaches to the introduction of new technology and the associated cost benefits
• Excellent negotiating and conflict resolution skills
• A proven track record of training and staff supervision Desirable:
• Previous experience working in Medical Research
• An attractive salary will be paid which reflects the responsibilities of the post Location:
Gambia How To Apply For The Job
An application form and a copy of the job description are available from the address below. Completed application forms should be sent by email to:
Human Sources Office: Vacancy for: Head of IT MRC Unit, The Gambia P. O. Box 273 Banjul, The Gambia
Tel: 00220 4495442
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: www.mrc.com Closing Date:
16 May,2013 MRC is an Equal Opportunities Employer and operates a strict no smoking policy