CARE works in 87 countries around the world to support over 900 poverty-fighting development and emergency projects. Our Mission
To serve individuals and families in the poorest communities in the world Our Vision
We seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live in dignity and security.
CARE International in Ghana is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Head of Programmes Job Summary
The Head of Programs (HoP) is responsible for ensuring that CARE's programs in Ghana contribute to CARE's vision of "a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live in dignity and security". The HoP is expected to provide strategic leadership in the areas of program strategy and development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programs(including emergency programs), influencing policy and quality assurance. S/he is responsible for coordinating resource mobilisation for program delievry, working with the program team and the wider CARE international members. S/he ensures that systems and people are in place for proper management of programs. Key Responsibilities
• Oversee the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of country office programs and projects and ensure that they are in line with Country Office (CO) and the Care International(CI) Program Strategies.
• Work with staff and partners to generate viable programs in line with CO program strategy and assist in identifying and securing funding for those programs
• Ensure that Gender Equality and Diversity (GED) issues are properly considered and addressed in all programs/projects.
• Ensure that CARE programs and projects are managed in a manner which achieves the program/project goals, is in line with CARE policies and procedures and demonstrate sound resource management
• Ensure proper management of financial and other resources entrusted to CARE's programs and projects, including the review and approval of program/project budgets (including project matches) and the monitoring of budget reports (including the proper recording of matches).
• Work closely with units in Program Support (finance, admin and HR) to ensure proper coordination exists for efficient program implementation.
• Regularly review and ensure that the most efficient CO program management structure is established and functional in order to ensure program quality and the cost efficient achievement of programt objectives.
• Ensure that robust systems are in place to gather evidence for advocacy, resource mobilization, publication and sharing in the wider organization
• Establish mechanisms for knowledge sharing and learning between projects and programs within the CO and with parties beyond the CO.
• Lead the preparation and implementation of the overall CO Program Strategy in line with the global CI program Strategy, national development plans and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
• Oversee periodic review of the operating environment and ensure CARE’s role and operating model are in line with that environment.
• Seek stratgeic partnerships necessary to promote CARE's vision and programming principles.
• Establish and maintain good relationships with relevant – counterparts/departments of the government, CI members, the locally-represented multi/bi-lateral donors, foundations, private sector, international and national NGOs, CBOs and other civil society organizations.
• Identify issues to be addressed to heighten donor and government accountability and maintain a positive image and good visibility for CARE amongst these groups.
• Provide proper supervision and management for all direct reports and lead the establishment and functioning of a strong, effective and coordinated Program team. Build a strong programme team by providing support in the form of coordination, planning, prioritization, coaching and supervision to all programme staff.
• Ensure the proper implementation of CARE's performance management system for direct reports, including job description and Annual Performance Agreement and Assessment (APAA) development, regular feedback, mid-term reviews and annual performance appraisals. Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum qualification of a master’s degree in a relevant discipline (rural/social/economic development/agriculture/environment/human rights/strategy)
• At least 10 years experience in a development organizations or institutions active in social development; governance, gender equality, policy influencing and advocacy.
• Five years of practical program coordination and management experience, including financial management.
• Strong experience in facilitating civil society strengthening and engaging the private sector in Ghana.
• Highly developed communication skills, both verbal and written, including listening skills and the ability to build trust and credibility both in the village and at the policy table.
• Experience in resource mobilisation
• Familiarity with the main conceptual frameworks underpinning civil society strengthening and community empowerment
• Strategic agility; flexibility & adaptability, initiative & direction; interpersonal skills; managerial courage & commitment to CARE vision, mission and values.
• Negotiation and networking skills including facilitating change, coaching and innovation;
• Ability to build commitment of others, working with others to achieve results and developing teams
• Strong experience in leading strategic and operational planning
• Strong experience in emergency related activities
• Ability and interest to coach and develop staff
• Experience with performance management
• Experience with the management of a diverse workforce
• Strong representation and negotiation skills
• Demonstrated use of positive coping strategies in stressful environments
• Demostrated cross cultural communication skills Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates should submit their applications and detailed CVs to the HR Officer, CARE International in Ghana or electronically to:- [email protected]
PLEASE INDICATE CLEARLY IN THE SUBJECT LINE THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR. Closing Date:
28 August, 2015 OUR DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH; WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS AND EXPERIENCES, PARTICULARLY WOMEN, TO APPLY