Fairtrade Africa (FTA) is the umbrella network organisation representing Fairtrade certified producers and workers in Africa. It has four (4) regional networks – Eastern & Central Africa; Southern Africa; Western Africa; and the Middle East and North Africa. Established in 2005, FTA aims to effectively represent producers and workers within the International Fairtrade system and provide services to them that contribute to the improvement of their livelihoods. The FTA Board directs policy and strategic development of the organization.
Since 2012 FTA has taken a much bigger role in delivering services to producers and workers, resulting in more than doubling the size of its budget responsibility. The resultant larger regional budgets and a greater income from the global Fairtrade system has increased requirements to report and track expenditure to the Fairtrade system and our partners, in order to ensure compliance against various agreements. Job Description
Senior Leadership Team
• REPORTING LINES
• SCALE LEVEL:
Post holder reports to: Executive Director
Staff reporting to this post: Members and Partnership Manager, Administration Officer, Liaison Officers
• SALARY RANGE (BASIC):
($2,500-$3,960) BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY:
Yes FAIRTRADE AFRICA PURPOSE
To improve the socio-economic conditions of African producers through increased access to better trading conditions. JOB PURPOSE AND REPORTING
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Head of Region -Western Africa Network (HOR-WAN), as a member of FTA’s Senior Leadership Team has overall responsibility for the development, direction and co-ordination of FTA – West Africa Network regional programmes. This includes the responsibility for ensuring effective programme development and implementation, with the objective of delivering high quality support and representation that ultimately delivers greater impact for Fairtrade certified producers in the region. Specific Tasks LEADERSHIP:
• Provide strong and dynamic overall leadership at a regional level, for all members and staff.
• Manage the regional office and lead the regional team, ensuring adherence to local laws and requirements.
• Work to build consensus around key decisions among staff, Board Members, the regional support team and other organizational stakeholders, as a democratic membership organisation that is able to effectively represent the views of members.
• Responsible for management of relations with all regional members which may be through grassroots structures such as country and product networks ensuring clear plans, co-ordination and reporting.
• Represent Fairtrade in the region STRATEGIC DIRECTION AND IMPLEMENTATION:
• Build a producer focused regional strategy for the FTA- Western Africa Network region through working within and contributing to the global and African strategic frameworks.
• Be accountable for delivery and on-going refinement of the Regional Strategy on behalf of Regional members, to the Regional Boards of Directors, regional partners, the regional support team as well as the global system including Fairtrade International and FLO-CERT.
• Identify potential risks to the Fairtrade system and producers and build plans to mitigate these. FUNDRAISING & PARTNERSHIP DEVELOPMENT:
• Support Fundraising at a continental and global level and raise regional funds that will support the growth of the Western Africa Network regional program activities and capacity to effectively represent and deliver services to African producers.
• Develop partnerships in the region for delivery of services to producers that are managed monitored and evaluated. PROGRAMME DELIVERY:
• Lead the planning, design, delivery and reporting of annual regional programmes ensuring optimal use of all resources and including hands-on supervision, motivation, and mentoring of staff.
• Oversee the collection, analysis and dissemination of Key Performance Indicators and information from the region to build strong accountability and knowledge to support a learning organisation culture and action. BOARD SUPPORT:
• Liaise with the chair and ensure that all board meetings are carried out according to the FTA constitution.
• Provide effective management support to the Regional Board of Directors to ensure compliance with the regions governance duties; to deliver programme, fundraising, and regional goals; undertake effective planning and functional staff/board collaboration; and ensure that FTA’s mission, vision, and values are embodied in all processes of the organization. BUDGET MANAGEMENT:
Manage the annual budget for the region and support the Executive Team to establish the annual FTA budget. Qualification Required & Experience Required
• A degree in Business, Agriculture, Economics, Development Studies or related fields;
• 5 years professional experience, ideally within the Western Africa Network region;
• Proven experience of leading staff from diverse backgrounds in a manner that enhances their confidence and efficiency, builds their initiative and enables them to function as members of efficient and effective teams;
• Proven experience in advancing the cause of sustainability and ethical trade for the benefit of rural communities;
• Past experience in working with Board members;
• Proven ability to communicate effectively, manage information, execute on plans and ensure accountability;
• Experience of project cycle management, ensuring the delivery of high quality programmes as well as supporting internal learning processes across virtual teams;
• Experience of working with donor partnerships;
• A good track record of developing productive relationships with partners;
• Must be willing and able to travel extensively in the region; Desired:
• Must have a working knowledge of English and Kiswahili, knowledge of French will be an advantage
• Experience of managing field teams Skills
• Strong attention to detail and deadlines, the ability to balance multiple, complex, competing and demanding responsibilities while under pressure.
• Strong negotiation, advocacy and communication including excellent presentation skills;
• Able to handle varied, demanding and complex tasks
• Ability to work independently
• A flexible and enthusiastic approach to work with the ability to be part of a wider remote team
• An organized and methodical approach to work Competencies The following are core competencies required for the role:
• Passionate commitment - This competency shows you have a passion, dedication, and proactively can show your support for FTA.
• Embracing change - This competency is about you showing you are flexible and responsive to changing needs. It is about innovating, doing something new or differently.
• Working together -This competency is about how we all relate to one another – either as Line Manager and Team, the Team itself, or colleague to colleague.
• Delivering results - This competency is about achieving a high quality of measurable results while at the same time maintaining or even raising, the quality of work.
• Knowledge management - This competency is about working in a way that promotes, information and knowledge sharing to the team and our broader network. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
APPLICATION (Deadline 19th September 2015)
The application form (CVs will not be accepted
) can be found on the jobs and volunteering page of our website http://www.fairtradeafrica.net/about-us/jobs-and-volunteering/
If you have any queries, please e-mail [email protected]
or call +254202721930
and ask to speak to a member of the HR team.
• Qualified applicants will be subjected to background checks as a condition of employment. The final hiring decision is anticipated end September 2015.
• Completed applications should be e-mailed to:- [email protected]
• All applicants should state how they meet essential requirements of the post and include their email address, telephone contacts and three referees with contact details on the application form. Closing Date:
19 September, 2015 Notes:
This job description is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time in the light of strategic developments following discussion with the post holder. The post holder will be expected to work to agreed objectives, which should facilitate achievements of the key responsibilities in accordance with the Performance Review Process.