Applications are invited from suitably qualified Ghanaian Nationals for the post of Health Specialist (National Officer Category). VN No.:
VN-15-22 Post Level:
NO-C Type of Contract:
Fixed Term IMIS# :
71883 Purpose of the job:
Under the general guidance of the Health Specialist (P4), the incumbent will be accountable for formulation, design, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of cost-effective maternal and neonatal health intervention packages and contribute to the programme component on maternal, neonatal and child health of the country programme. Main Duties And Responsibilities: Support to programme development and planning
• Support/contribute to the preparation/design and conduct/update of situation analysis for the sector/s to establish a strategic plan for development. design and management of health related programmes. Keep abreast of development trends to enhance programme management, efficiency and delivery.
• Participate in strategic programme discussion on the planning of health programme. Formulate. design and prepare a sector of the health programme proposal, ensuring alignment with the overall UNICEF's Strategic Plans and Country Programme and coherence/integration with UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDF), regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.
• Establish specific programme goals, objectives and strategies and implementation plans based on results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare required documentation for programme review and approval.
• Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies and to determine national priorities/competencies to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
• Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes and to ensure integration, coherence and harmonisation of programmes/projects with other UNICEF sectors and achievement of results as planned and allocated. Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
• Plan and/or collaborate with internal and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators' and measurement to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the assigned sector in health programmes.
• Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectorial reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve results.
• Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in programme and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
• Actively monitor programmes/projects through field visits, surveys and/or exchange of information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
• Monitor and verify the optimum/appropriate use of sectorial programme resources (financial. administrative and other assets) confirming compliance with organisational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity and ensuring timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
• Prepare regular/mandated programme/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of programme progress. Technical and operational support to programme Implementation
• Provide technical guidance and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on interpretation, application and understanding of UNICEF policies,strategies, processes and best practices and approaches on health and related issues to support programme development planning, management, implementation and delivery of results.
• Participate in discussions with national partners/clients/stakeholders to promote health and development issues especially in the areas of gender, emergency preparedness and maternal, neonatal and child survival and development.
• Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic programme materials for management use, information and/or consideration.
• Participate in emergency preparedness initiatives programme development and contingency planning and/or to respond to emergencies in country or where designated. Networking and partnership building
• Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with health sector government counterparts, national stakeholders and global partners/allies/donors/academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication to build capacity and exchange knowledge/expertise to facilitate the achievement of programme goals on children rights and social justice/equity.
• Prepare communication and information materials for CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for health programmes (maternal. neonatal and child survival and development).
• Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) discussions and planning on health and related issues to collaborate with inter-agency partners /colleagues on UNDAF planning and preparation of health programmes/ projects ensuring organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF process in development planning and agenda setting. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
• Apply/introduce innovative approaches and good practice to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results.
• Keep abreast and conduct research to provide evidence for implementation of best and cutting edge practices in health.
• Assess, institutionalise and share best practices and knowledge learned
• Contribute to the development and implement of policies and procedures to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programmes and projects.
• Organise and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on health related programmes/projects. Other Key Expected Results:
• Work with government and non-government stakeholders to develop and improve strategic and policy links between WASH, MNCH and nutrition outcomes;
• Coordination and technical support for health system strengthening, implementation and monitoring of an integrated maternal, neonatal health, nutrition (MNHN) and HIV programme in line with the National Newborn Strategy and Action Plan, National Nutrition Policy and Action Plan and National HIV and AIDS, STI Policy;
• Provide technical expertise on health facility-based infection prevention and control measures through hygiene promotion and sanitary measures;
• Apply innovative approaches and good practice to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results on maternal and newborn health care;
• Prepare regular MINH and HIV programme reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of programme progress Qualification Required & Experience
• Advanced university degree in Medicine/Pediatrics/Obstetrics, Public Health, Health
• Promotion, International Health or related technical field (MD+ MPH or equivalent)
• A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in public health/nutrition planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal and neonatal health care, health emergency/humanitarian preparedness, at the international level some of which preferably in a developing country is required. Relevant experience in health/nutrition programme/project development and management in any UN system agency or organisation is an asset.
• Experience working on health facility-based Nutrition Programme, WASH and Hygiene promotion and infection control is an asset.
• Fluency in English required. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station and another UN working language an asset. Competency Profile I) Core Values (Required)
• Diversity and Inclusion
• Integrity II) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [II]
• Working with People [I]
• Drive for Results [I] III) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Leading and Supervising [I]
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [II]
• Analyslng [III]
• Relating and Networking [II]
• Deciding and Initiating Action [II]
• Applying Technical Expertise [III] Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
If you have experience working in a similar capacity and want to make an active and lasting contribution to build a better world for children and match the profile outlines, send a brief application letter supported by detailed curriculum vitae, UN Personal History Form (which can be downloaded from: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc
) and photocopies of other supporting documents to: The Human Resources Officer
P. O. Box 5051
OR [email protected]
Location: 4-8 Rangoon Close, Cantonments, (Behind UNDP, near Ghana National Fire Service Headquarters on the Ring Road Closing Date:
28 August, 2015
• PLEASE INDICATE CLEARLY THE TITLE AND VACANCY NUMBER OF THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING TO ON THE ENVELOPE
• Only shortllsted candidates will be contacted for a written test.
• UNICEF is committed to gender equality in its mandate and it staff.
• Well qualified candidates, particularly females are strongly encouraged to apply
• NOTE: UNICEF IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT!!!