The Government of the Republic of Ghana has received funding from the World Bank toward the cost of the eTransform Project, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for the recruitment of Project Implementation Unit (PIU) staff.
The overall Project Development Objective of the eTransform Project is to improve the efficiency and coverage of government service delivery using Information Communication Technologies (ICT).The principal outputs are: (a) Enabling environment for electronic government and business; (b) foxmdational systems for electronic identification to promote electronic service delivery and social inclusion; (c) scaling up of ICT applications and services to improve services in priority sectors in Ghana and (d) effective project management.
The ICT Policy Specialist will lead the Ministry of Communications efforts under the eTransform project to providing technical leadership in the development of sustainable policies, plans, budgets, strategies, programmes and projects for the Ministry. This will involve working closely with NITA, MDAs, telecom operators, and other private organisations in Ghana.
The ICT Policy Specialist will facilitate the implementation of an efficient and effective ICT policy and plan country-wide as part of the eTransform project.
ICT/Telecom Policy Specialist will among others perform the following tasks: Policy Analysis
• Providing technical advice on policy issues related to the Telecommunications and the Information and Communications Technology sub-sectors of the Ministry, and on the development of the ICT sector and the use of ICT in Ghana;
• Reviewing and updating the telecom/ICT legislative/regulatory and incentive framework to facilitate the achievement of policy goals and to set targets of the sector.
• Providing expert advice on emerging areas of ICT policy, including cyber
• security, data privacy, data for development, service delivery, digital commerce, and others ICT Development
• Support the coordination of ICT programmes and related technical assistance of other sector ministries to enhance the creation of critical support network in close collaboration with NITA and a team of experts to be identified by the MoC. The work will include monitoring and promoting mechanisms by which ICT can help improve governance and service delivery at all levels of government from national to local. Local Industry and Content
• Developing a strategy for the availability and use of local language and locally relevant content and to remove barriers in the use of the Internet.
• Providing technical advice on convergence of technologies and the consequent impact on policy and overall national development.
• Developing a global knowledge database and best practices for development of innovation centers and technology parks.
• Supporting the opening up of government data, and the use of open data for government accountability, transparency, private sector development, and job creation.
• Working with ITES Secretariat to develop policy/strategy for IT/ITES industry in Ghana. Development Impact
• Developing a comprehensive system of assessing development impact, including by monitoring and evaluating programmes and projects of the Telecom/ICT subsector, and reviewing different aspects of e-applications/ICT implementation initiatives; and
• Developing relevant indicators for measuring impact of ICT on Ghana's development Qualification Required & Experience
The prospective candidate should have a Masters or higher degree in Computer Science/ICT, Business Administration, Management or any related discipline. A professional qualification in ICT will be an added advantage. Suitable candidate must demonstrate:
• At least 15 years of minimum experience in public service or a similar position.
• A solid understanding of ICT policy as related to national development. Knowledge of regional and international practices and trends on ICT is preferred.
• An understanding of Policy Analysis and Project Management is essential.
• Strategic thinking in ICT-based development, as well as proven capacity to carry out similar assignments. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
• The Ministry of Communications now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
• Individual Consultants will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank's Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011, (revised July 2014). Interested Individuals may obtain further information at the address below from Monday to Friday between 9:00a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
• Expressions of Interest may be hand delivered or sent by email to the address below by 4:00 p.m. (local time) on or before the June 12,2015. Chief Director
Room 16, First Floor Ministry of Communications
Ministerial Enclave, Accra
Attention: Project Coordinator eTransform Project
Tel:+233 302 685606
Email:[email protected] Closing Date:
12 June, 2015