Institutional Data Engineer
Institutional Data Engineering Unit
Director, Institutional Research & Planning Office
• Reporting to the Director, the Data Engineer will identify and develop data sources that will play key roles in the IRPO being able to facilitate evidence-based decision making of Senior Management of the University.
• The Data Engineer will work side by side with Business Intelligence Analysts to identify common data constructs and metrics that are required to create curated datasets that are easily consumable for analysis and that are aligned to reporting and analytic needs.
• Work with the Director of Institutional Research and the IRPO analytic team to identify common metrics for both internal and external data requests, gather requirements for datasets, and translate those requirements into actionable projects.
• Build, manage and “clean” large datasets, creating curated, focused, fit-for-purpose datasets that optimize efficiency in the IRPO reporting and analysis.
• Inform the IRPO analysts on available datasets, including field/variable definitions, and inform on best practices etc.
• Develop ETL pipelines
• Closely collaborate with the Director of Institutional Research and the IRPO analysts to update and refine datasets on an annual or as-needed basis, as specifications evolve.
• Develop a framework for acquisitions, and a data management policy, or extend existing policies
• As needed, prepare data and tabulate metrics to meet internal and/or external reporting requirements from accreditors, state and federal governments, and other agencies and organizations.
• Develop and standardize data reporting procedures and streamline data reporting activities and processes, to establish efficient methods for data reporting.
• Thoroughly document reporting efforts in the IRPO records for future reference.
• Work with BI Analyst to develop pipelines for annual reports and other relevant reports, or statistics for the University’s web page.
• Identify, investigate, and work to resolve data quality issues with relevant functional units and data administration and governance colleagues.
• To perform other duties as assigned by the Head, Institutional Research and Planning Office.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Candidate must possess a relevant Bachelor’s & Masters Degree or an equivalent professional qualification in a relevant discipline with experience in institutional research and research methods.
• A minimum of six (6) years of experience in research and analysis, academic administration, university planning or policy development.
• Competency with a wide variety of information and communication technologies, including appropriate software for complex quantitative and qualitative data management and analysis.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills, strong organisational and interpersonal skills including a strong customer service orientation
• Experience and demonstrated knowledge in database development and management.
• Experience in extracting, cleaning, and transforming data for analysis required.
• A good knowledge of relational databases and SQL is required.
• Practical experience with data management tools such as Alteryx preferred.
• Familiarity with dimensional data modelling concepts (e.g. Star Schema) preferred;
• Ability to manage concurrent projects and activities with a high degree of quality under less supervision.
• Data warehousing
• Knowledge of operating systems
• Database systems
• Basic understanding of machine learning
• Communication skills
• Data analysis
How To Apply For The Job
An applicant is required to submit the complete application dossier to
University of Ghana,
P. O. Box LG 25,
Legon, Accra, Ghana
or [email protected]
The application pack should contain the following: · Completed application form for Senior Administrative and Professional Staff Application: (UAB Form 1B) to be downloaded from the University’s website www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd
• a cover letter expressing interest,
• a detailed curriculum vitae
• copies of relevant academic and/or professional certificates.
30 June, 2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.