The African Center for Economic Transformation (ACET) is a pan-African economic policy institute supporting Africa’s long-term growth through transformation. We produce research, offer policy advice, and connect key stakeholders so that African countries are better positioned for smart, inclusive, and sustainable development. Based in Ghana, we offer African-led solutions to some of Africa’s most critical development issues. Description of the Interpreter Role
• Working with the Youth Employment and Skills (YES) team, the interpreter will serve as a liaison between ACET staff and our French-speaking partner institutions to interpret both English and French during meetings and translate written communiques. The interpreter will mainly be working on the YES Pan-African Coalition for Transformation (PACT) project which seeks to bring together key stakeholders for policy engagement on issues related to YES.
• Whilst this is not a full-time role, the consultant will need to have the flexibility and be available sometimes on short notice (24 hours minimum). Scope and Duration of Services
• The role will be for a 1-year contract where the individual consultant will only be paid for the hours they work in each month. Tasks
• Sit in on our YES-PACT meetings when required to serve as an interpreter between us and our YES partner institutions. These are usually one-hour meetings and are scheduled as and when needed.
• Attend our monthly YES-PACT secretariat meeting to serve as an interpreter. This meeting occurs once each month for 1.5 hours
• Translate short written communiques between us and our YES PACT partners. This will be in the form of emails, brief word and excel document, presentations. No single document will exceed 10pages at a time. Deliverables
As described above. Qualification Required & Experience Qualification, Skills, Knowledge, and Competencies:
• The consultant will need to be excellent command of both oral and written English and French, with proof of past work in both languages.
• They should have good listening skills and able to keep up with interpreting fast paced conversations in both English and French.
• An undergraduate degree in any of these languages will be an added advantage but is not required. WORKING AT ACET
• The position will be employed as a Consultant to ACET staff and may be located either locally or remotely.
ACET is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusion and diversity in the workplace. We have a zero-tolerance approach to discrimination and harassment of any kind. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Please send your application to the ACET Human Resource Manager at: [email protected]
The application should contain:
• Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position
• CV to include qualifications/competencies and relevant past experience in a similar role
• Contact details of 2 professional referees who can certify your competencies, professionalism, quality of writing, presentation, and overall suitability to this TOR. Closing Date:
01 July, 2022
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be held either virtually or in-person if the candidate is based in Ghana.