The International Potato Center (CIP) seeks to reduce poverty and achieve food security on a sustained basis in developing countries through scientific research and related activities on potato, sweetpotato and other root and tuber crops, and on the improved management of natural resources in the Andes and other mountain areas.
CIP is a Future Harvest Center supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). CIP headquarters are in Lima, Peru and its regional headquarters in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) are in Nairobi, Kenya.
CIP scientists are also based in Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania and Zambia.
In Ghana, CIP offices are located at CSIR-Crops Research Institute, Kumasi, and at CSIR-Savanna Agricultural Research Institutute, Tamale. Our efforts in the region are focused on research for the improvement of the resilient, nutritious sweetpotato for health. Job Summary
• Ref: Marketing and Monitoring Specialist
• Position No: NRS/Ghana2015-1
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a marketing or food chain analysis specialist to lead the development of a sustainable market chain for pro-vitamin A sweetpotato in Volta and the Northern Region, Ghana and monitor key indicators capturing the growth in sweetpotato prices, production and sales as well as processed product sales. The Center
CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research organization with a global mandate to conduct research on potatoes, sweetpotatoes, Andean root and tuber crops, and sustainable management of natural resources. Its regional office for Sub-Saharan Africa is in Nairobi. In Ghana, CIP is hosted by the International Water Management Institute. This position will be based at the CSIR-CRI sub-center at Ohawu. Conditions
The employment contract will be for two-year with the possibility of renewal for an additional two years. There is a three month probation period. Qualification Required & Experience
The successful candidate will be/have:
• Citizen of Ghana
• Masters of Science Degree with at least 5 years work experience in agricultural economics, or marketing or related discipline
• At least 3 years of research or professional experience related to value chain or agrifood supply analysis in a developing country context
• Proven competence in statistics and analytic techniques relevant to marketing studies
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a diverse farmer, researcher, and staff body
• Proactive, innovative and creative attitudes
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are required. Candidates who can speak Ewe are preferred.
• Willingness to travel extensively by road and work under field conditions. Skills/Competence/Abiliities
• The candidate should have experience relevant to enabling the development of effective public-private partnerships for linking seed production to markets.
• He/she should have competence in both quantitative and qualitative techniques to carry out market opportunity and consumer preference studies and set up and implement monitoring systems. CIP seeks diversity and gender balance in its staff. Women are particularly urged to apply. Location:
Ohawu - Volta Region How To Apply For The Job
Applicants should apply by email, sending a cover letter summarizing their relevance to this position, a full C.V. and the names and contact information of three referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to Ted Carey ([email protected]
) with a copy to [email protected]
. Closing Date:
22 July, 2015
• The reference name of the position should be clearly marked on the subject line of the email message.
• Screening of applications will begin on 22 July 2015 and will continue until the post is filled.