Trias Ghana is a non-governmental organization whose aim is to improve the livelihood security of micro entrepreneurs and small scale farmers in northern Ghana. In February 2012, the European Union (EU) awarded a grant to Trias to implement a 2.5 year microfinance programme with the objective to improving access to tailor-made financial services for at least 22,400 family farmers and micro entrepreneurs in the Upper East, Upper West and Northern Region of Ghana. The strategy of the intervention of the action is based on the following methodological choices:
• Innovation - that is, improving existing products, piloting and implementing new financial products in favour of small-scale farmers and micro-entrepreneurs.
• Institutional capacity building – that is, the pro-poor focus of RCBs and the acceptance of new products will only be sustainable if institutionalized.
As part of the implementation of the programme, Trias intends to build the capacity of the RCBs in microinsurance and to create insurance awareness with the rural population through a number of initiatives. The programme also intends to develop the RCBs of Northern Ghana as a microinsurance distribution network. To be able to achieve the above, the following activities are foreseen:
• Training of the Board and the staff of the RCBs
• Creating micro-insurance awareness with the clients of the RCBs
• Establishing a professional relationship with the micro-insurance company. Job Summary
For effective implementation of the microinsurance program, Trias Ghana is looking for dynamic and experienced person to fill the position of a microinsurance programme officer . Duty Station:
Bolgatanga (with regular travelling within and outside the Region) Duration:
1.5 years, with possibility of renewal Reports to:
Country Director, Trias Ghana
• The microinsurance programme officer reports directly to the Country director of Trias Ghana. Together he/she will determine the set of concrete steps to be taken in order to make the RCBs function effectively as micro-insurance distributors (prioritization of the microinsurance products to be distributed, technical support to RCBs in negotiations with the insurance company, design and implementation of the processes, development and execution of the training program, etc.).
• He/she will be required to implement decisions by the Micro-insurance Committee established by the RCBs. He/she will also follow up the progress of the program and monitor the budget.
• He/she will be required to work closely with other team members in the implementation of the programme as well as key stakeholders. Renumeration:
Negotiable, but within prevailing market rates offered by similar NGOs in Northern Ghana. Qualification Required & Experience
• Be able to develop as well as implement the program (combining the skills of a developing manager (innovative, constructive, etc.) and of an implementing manager (organizing time, tasks, budget, capacities, competences, etc.)
• Be a leader with drive and inititiative.
• Have sufficient authority/personality to discuss and negotiate with RCB’s, insurance companies and other organizations.
• Be able to manage the change (being aware of and dealing with the changes the program will provoke).
• Be able to conduct (or to organize and interpret the findings of) a market survey.
• Be an operational risk manager (being aware of and dealing with the operational risks the program will incur). Qualifications:
• Have a university degree, by preference in insurance management or actuarial sciences, or have equivalent knowledge through experience.
• By preference, have sufficient affinity with the (micro) insurance sector, with (insurance) distribution (sales) and with the RCBs.
• By preference have experience in:
1) the development of insurance distribution channels
2) the development of insurance products (terms and conditions, premium setting)
3) the education of clients
• Have sufficient experience as project or program manager (planning, staffing, budgeting, follow up, reporting, …)
• Computer literate (Microsoft Word, Excel. Power Point and internet applications)
• Have sufficient knowledge of Northern Ghanaian Others:
• Be available to take up the job in less than one month after interview in March.
• Be able to analyze complex situations.
• Have synthetic skills.
• Be able to come up with solutions that reconcile different point of views without losing sight of the mission.
• Be client focused.
• Be able to work independently.
• Be persevering, inspiring and empathic
• Be communicative/persuasive Location:
Bolgatanga How To Apply For The Job
Interested and eligible persons may e-mail their application letter with current Curriculum Vitae (CV) to:- [email protected]
/ [email protected]
Or to: Trias Ghana P.O. Box 778 Bolgatanga, UER. Closing Date:
08 March, 2013