The African Center for Economic Transformation (ACET) is an economic policy institute supporting Africa’s long-term growth through transformation. We produce research, offer policy advice, and galvanize action for African countries to develop their economies, reduce poverty, and improve livelihoods for all their people. We are the pre-eminent African organization advancing African solutions to African challenges.
• Job Title:
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Specialist
• Reporting Line:
The position will report to the Chief Operating Officer
Accra or Remote
• ACET seeks a Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) Specialist to provide technical leadership and strategic direction for monitoring and evaluation at an institutional and programmatic level.
• The MEL Specialist will lead ACET in developing a performance measurement framework with sound measurement models, data collecting tools and performance indicators.
• S/he will lead also lead the planning and managing of evaluations and will assist ACET’s management in using performance information for decision-making and resource allocation.
Roles and Responsibilities
Specifically, the MEL Specialist will lead:
• M& E Strategy – provide technical leadership to develop institutional and programmatic frameworks, plans and indicators to capture performance results and impacts.
• Reporting – provide leadership for effective, accurate and timely monitoring, evaluation, and reporting results of all project and program activities. S/he will also be responsible for working with the Communications team to ensure effective dissemination of ACET results.
• M&E Management – work closely with the technical and operational teams to design, implement and supervise M&E activities.
• Process improvement – Assess ACET’s M&E capacity and seek ways to streamline the process and increase efficiency in gathering and using performance information. This could include an M&E assessment and roadmap for the function (human resources, budget, etc.). They will ensure that lessons learned are integrated into program implementation to continuously improve quality of interventions and outcomes.
• Training – provide guidance and training to ACET staff for effective activity monitoring, evaluation and learning.
• Partner Engagement – Work with ACET’s partners to ensure for ACET’s M&E planning, activity monitoring and results dissemination process is endorsed and used by partners. This includes co-creation of indicators, and documenting and disseminating program successes, impacts, and challenges to ACET’s stakeholders. They will also support and contribute to ACET’s relationship management with funders & sponsors, including drafting ACET’s annual report.
• Quality Assurance – work closely with ACET technical and operational team to develop strategies and processes towards enhancing quality assessments and overall performance.
• Communication – the role will work with ACET’s communication office to develop methods of communicating ACET’s impact and influence
• People Management – manage the ACET M&E analyst
• Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time in support of ACET’s mission
Qualification Required & Experience
• Master’s degree in monitoring and evaluation or a related disciplines such as economics, political science, social science, program management etc.
• A proven track record of successfully developing and implementing an impact measurement framework for a development institution. Experience of doing this in an economic policy institute will be an asset
• Minimum of 5 years post-master’s experience of performance monitoring and/or evaluation with an international development organization.
• Demonstrated experience in project monitoring, and evaluation of development activities.
• Experience developing results frameworks, logical frameworks, or similar tools for project design is required.
• Experience developing and/or using performance management plans or tools.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in providing leadership for monitoring and evaluating programs and institutional portfolios —including indicator development, study design, and data analysis—in multiple sectors.
• Experience using knowledge management or program management software/databases is highly desired.
• Proven experience in effective people management
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Excellent research and data collection methodology skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills to deal effectively with mid and high-level partner contacts, the host government, and the local communities.
• Excellent computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheet programs and data base management
• Ability to support staff with a diverse knowledge and capabilities
• Ability to lead and coordinate multiple offices through multiple step processes
• Strong organizational skills to balance competing priorities and work across complex systems
• Ability to work independently to efficiently meet deadlines
• Fluency in spoken and written English. An ability to work in French will be an asset
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Effective at working in a team.
WORKING AT ACET
• ACET is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusion and diversity in the workplace. We have a zero-tolerance approach to discrimination and harassments of any kind.
How To Apply For The Job
Interested applicants should email their CV and an accompanying Cover Letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the position to:
Contact details of 3 references will also be required.
01 July, 2022
Interviews will be held either virtually or in-person if the candidate is based in Ghana. Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.