IBIS is a Danish International NGO that works for a just world in which all people have equal access to education, influence and resources. Through the capacity strengthening of local civil society organisations, IBIS works to address the structural causes of poverty by promoting individual and collective rights of citizens’ participation in governance, empowering quality basic education as well as human rights and democratisation. Responsible for:
IBIS in Ghana’s advocacy work across the Accountable Governance Portfolio and related projects like the Ghana’s Strengthen Accountability Mechanism (GSAM) Project (USAID funded), but mostly with partners. The Position:
The position is based in the IBIS Country Office in Accra and will be responsible to the Country Director on overall issues. The National Policy Advisor (Governance) will work directly with the Governance Programme Director based on the Democratic Consolidation and Accountable Governance (DCAG) and GSAM Project. Main Duties: The National Policy Advisor has the following main duties:
• Advise all IBIS Governance programmes and projects on national, regional and international policy issues related to Accountable Democratic Governance
• Advice and support in developing advocacy strategies of the governance programme and related projects (GSAM) contributing to bringing the experiences and evidence of IBIS/partners to affect policy in democratic governance and human rights in Ghana and beyond.
• Support the capacity building of staff and partners in advocacy and mentor IBIS in Ghana staff/partners in policy engagements.
• Advise in the design and management of IBIS’ research and documentation processes aimed at influencing policy within Accountable Democratic Governance.
• Support to maintain regular contact between IBIS and relevant state institutions, research institutions, think tanks in governance and related themes.
• Facilitating and harmonizing the work of IBIS’ partners and partnership with national level civil society organizations, clusters and coalitions within the Governance Programme.
• Contribute in bringing IBIS experiences and issues related to accountable democratic governance and related themes to national and international level platforms.
• Assisting the Governance thematic Programme in maintaining and improving cooperation with the Government sector and donors supporting democratic reforms and themes under Accountable Democratic Governance and other component parts.
• Providing accurate analysis and updates of Governance issues in Ghana, through regular analysis of developments within the sector.
• Contribute to fundraising by supporting the development and writing of project proposals within the Governance Programme.
• Represent IBIS on policy platforms in consultation with the Governance Programme Director and the Country Director.
• Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Country Director or the Governance Programme Director. Qualification Required & Experience
• Masters Degree or equivalent qualification in the fields of Development Studies, Social Studies, Public Policy Management, Democratic Governance
• At least four years’ experience in policy advocacy at the local, national and regional levels.
• Working experience programme development and facilitation, with a strong sense and skills for contributing to social change.
• Knowledge and experience in the areas of Accountable Governance policy influencing work - budget and resource tracking and public policy analysis.
• Experience in networking, working with civil society organisations/coalitions and international development organisations and able to build sustainable relationships with various stakeholders.
• Experience in programme monitoring and documentation.
• Excellent interpersonal and team working skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
We look forward to receiving a motivated application letter from qualified Ghanaians and a detailed Curriculum Vita completed in English. Please state clearly on the subject on the email the job being applied for and forward application to:- [email protected] Closing Date:
04 March, 2015 IBIS considers diversity to be an advantage and we encourage everybody - irrespective of gender and of religious, sexual or ethnic affiliation - to apply for this position.