The U.S. Embassy in Accra, Ghana is seeking an individual for the position of Nurse in the Health Unit section of the Embassy. BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
This position functions as part of the Post's primary health care team. The incumbent will serve as the U.S. Registered Professional Nurse, or Western European equivalent trained Registered Professional Nurse with comparable licensure. The position is located in the Embassy Health Unit (HU) and is under the direct supervision of the Foreign Service Health Practitioner (FSHP). The position will provide the full range of professional nursing services to American and Locally
Employed Staff. Qualification Required & Experience NOTE:
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific
and comprehensive information supporting each item.
• Graduate of professional nursing school with a current unrestricted Registered Nurse License from the U.S., Puerto Rico, or Western European equivalent is required.
• At least two years of occupational health experience or hospital experience is required.
• Level IV (Fluent) English required. High degree of proficiency in both the written and spoken language, including the ability to translate. Job holder may need to act as an interpreter in English. Language skills will be tested.
• Ability to administer adult and pediatric immunization programs according to current CDC standards is required. The position requires strong interpersonal skills and a client oriented disposition. A good working knowledge or experience of current health promotion recommendations in the U.S. population is required. Must be familiar with American Nursing standards of care.
• Nursing assessment, diagnosis, treatment and evaluation, medical evaluation, triage and emergency care, pharmaceutical dispensing. Health care administrative skills including organization, supervisory and program planning, development, and evaluation. High level communication and good interpersonal skills as well as basic counseling skills. Must be able to perform basic word processing on the computer. Computer skills will be tested. Location:
Accra How To Apply For The Job
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment (UAE) as a locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174): or
2. A combination of both: i.e. Section 1-24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicant’s work experience attached as a separate sheet; or
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the UAE (see section 3A below for more information): plus
4. Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form
DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veteran preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
5. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
6. A telephone number, post office box and/or e-mail address where we can contact you to schedule an interview.
3A. If an applicant is submitting a resume or curriculum vitae, s/he must provide the following information equal to what is found on the UAE. Copied at: ghanacurrentjobs.com Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
A. Position Title
B. Position Grade
C. Vacancy Announcement Number (if known)
D. Dates Available for Work
E. First, Middle, & Last Names as well as any other names used
F. Date and Place of Birth
G. Current Address, Day, Evening, and Cell phone numbers
H. U.S. Citizenship Status (Yes or No) & status of permanent U.S. Resident (Yes or No; if yes, provide number)
I. U.S. Social Security Number and/or Identification Number
J. Eligibility to work in the country (Yes or No)
K. Special Accommodations the Mission needs to provide
L. If applying for position that includes driving a U.S. Government vehicle, Driver’s License Class / Type
M. Days available to work
N. List any relatives or members of your household that work for the U.S. Government (include their Name, Relationship, & Agency, Position, Location)
O. U.S. Eligible Family Member and Veterans Hiring Preference
Q. License, Skills, Training, Membership, & Recognition
R. Language Skills
S. Work Experience
T. References NOTE:
1. All applications must have the Position Number and Position Title identified.
2. All “Hard Copy”/printed applications must be submitted to the Mail Room at the
Chancery. Hard Copy Applications submitted through any other office will not be accepted. You may apply on-line using the email address.:- [email protected]
This is the preferred means of applying for a position with the American Embassy.
3. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE FOR AN OPEN/ADVERTIZED POSITION. APPLICATIONS PREVIOUSLY CONSIDERED FOR A JOB WILL NOT BE HELD/CONSIDERED FOR FUTURE JOBS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, YOU MUST RE-APPLY. SUBMIT APPLICATION TO: Human Resources Office Through the Mailroom, Chancery American Embassy, Accra P.O. Box GP194, Accra POINT OF CONTACT:
E-mail: [email protected] Closing Date:
04 November, 2015 NOTE: ALL U.S. AND NON-GHANAIAN CITIZENS, WHO ARE NOT FAMILY MEMBERS OF USG EMPLOYEES OFFICIALLY ASSIGNED TO POST AND UNDER CHIEF OF MISSION AUTHORITY, MUST ATTACH COPIES OF THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION. NO RELOCATION EXPENSES ARE PROVIDED TO THE JOB LOCATION: ACCRA, GHANA. IF TRANSPORTATION TO ACCRA IS REQUIRED, IT WILL BE THE EMPLOYEE’S RESPONSIBILITY.